What Happens After 4 Years DDS?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

doc3232

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Where do were do our 2 years residency and do we get paid (we just get living expenses or more)? and if we wanted to do specialty?

Members don't see this ad.

If you want to practice in NY or Delaware you must complete a 1 year residency. A GPR or AEGD will suffice. AEGDs are typically not paid. Often you pay graduate tuition. GPRs tend to be paid, roughly 40k. Otherwise you pass your boards and are able to practice. If you want to specialize, you must apply to the programs you hope to attend and if accepted you go wherever that program is. Specialty programs are generally not paid, except for some surgery residencies.

im in cali, so i can immediately start working under another dentist after my 4 years DDS without doing residency?

Members don't see this ad :)
If you want to practice in NY or Delaware you must complete a 1 year residency. A GPR or AEGD will suffice. AEGDs are typically not paid. Often you pay graduate tuition. GPRs tend to be paid, roughly 40k. Otherwise you pass your boards and are able to practice. If you want to specialize, you must apply to the programs you hope to attend and if accepted you go wherever that program is. Specialty programs are generally not paid, except for some surgery residencies.

Intersting. I didn't know that GPRs tend to be paid positions. Thanks!

i heard from my mom's friend that her son is doing a GPR residency in NY and is getting paid roughly $40k a year....

Other than the GPR programs, there are several other residencies that wont cost you anything. For example, you wont get paid, but your tuition will be paid, so you have no expenses.

GPR in NYC pays 50K per year usually. However, there is still a monetary loss because you could be being paid twice that in private practice.

I thought that after 4 years of dental school you dont have to do residency, is that applied in michigan