What happens after you get waitlisted?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mrs collarz

newbster ;)
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
well... here's the short version of the story i got from a counselor at st. john's university...

from around 3,000 kids they accept 300 for the class and put 75 on the waiting list. usually 200-250 kids end up going and so some years, everyone on the waiting list was accepted and some years only half or so. of course the person in charge of this list is out of town and i can't see how high up or down i am on the list.

i'm happy that at least i didn't get rejected... but the waiting list is kind of like "you're rejected for now... so wait for kids to drop out."

anyways, sorry for babbling.

my question is what is your experience with being waitlisted? has anyone gotten accepted after this? or do i have to find out about 75 kids that got accepted and threaten them go to another school? ha- just kidding about the third part.

i'm just a little worried. i only applied to 2 schools and liu was supposed to be my backup... =/

Members don't see this ad.

i was waitlisted at UMD, but they give you a number to tell you how high you are on the list, since all waitlisted applicants were ranked.

i am not sure how they do it at your school, but all you can do now is wait.

in my experience-- being on the waitlist last year was merely a long and drawn out rejection ...
however, i know that there are plenty of people who are accepted off after being waitlisted every year ... so good luck to you

---and by the way ... are you getting your pre-pharm education from st. johns? -- because I could've sworn that they don't accept transfer students ...

Members don't see this ad :)
I am waitlisted at Midwestern CCP and CPG. They supposedly don't rank the waitlist, which means I won't get in knowing my luck.

i hear a lot of miracle stories of people who were accepted just weeks before school starts in august. a friend of mine interviewed in may and didnt get accepted until july (this was at midwestern and south)

i just hope im one of those people...

I know a current pharmacy student who was on the waitlist at the University of Nebraska College of Pharmacy and got in near the end of the summer. So, miracles do occur, but this friend I'm talking about had good grades (above 3.5).

So, if you're on the waitlist with a 70 PCAT and 3.0 GPA, then I agree that your prospects are grim. But, if you have decent stats while on the waitlist, there are enough people at each school who decline acceptances allowing you to move up.

i'd hate to reply one by one so forgive me for such a long post..

thanks for all the advice and good luck to everyone else that was waitlisted. =)

i was waitlisted at UMD, but they give you a number to tell you how high you are on the list, since all waitlisted applicants were ranked.

i am not sure how they do it at your school, but all you can do now is wait.

i actually don't remember if the counselor said the waitlist was ranked or not.. but hopefully i didn't turn out to be the last one on the list, lol.

in my experience-- being on the waitlist last year was merely a long and drawn out rejection ...
however, i know that there are plenty of people who are accepted off after being waitlisted every year ... so good luck to you

---and by the way ... are you getting your pre-pharm education from st. johns? -- because I could've sworn that they don't accept transfer students ...

that's how i feel like now, but i'm trying not to give up all hope... and thank you. =) && no, actually, i'm 19 but after high school i ended up taking a year off so i'm still considered a freshman student and not a transfer.

I am waitlisted at Midwestern CCP and CPG. They supposedly don't rank the waitlist, which means I won't get in knowing my luck.

ahh.. well good luck to you though. =)

i hear a lot of miracle stories of people who were accepted just weeks before school starts in august. a friend of mine interviewed in may and didnt get accepted until july (this was at midwestern and south)

i just hope im one of those people...

oh jeezzz... hopefull it works out! the counselor said that too.. that i might be in classes one day and getting a call from them because a lot of kids drop out the first week.

I know a current pharmacy student who was on the waitlist at the University of Nebraska College of Pharmacy and got in near the end of the summer. So, miracles do occur, but this friend I'm talking about had good grades (above 3.5).

So, if you're on the waitlist with a 70 PCAT and 3.0 GPA, then I agree that your prospects are grim. But, if you have decent stats while on the waitlist, there are enough people at each school who decline acceptances allowing you to move up.

i had pretty good grades in high school... 3.9 actually but i never took the pcats because i'll be a freshman in the fall... and hopefully i'm in the top 10 or so for that waitlist so i can stop worrying, lol.