what happens if turned down from alternative loans

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

datchado

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,
I am trying to bridge the gap between what I can get out of my federal(since I already have a high loan) and tuition/living expenses. I started applying for private loans and was turned down for poor credit(that occurred during an accident)...I used a co signer but found out today that they had a repossesion 6 years ago which will not get off their record for another year or so. I am awaiting the National Health Scholarship but even if awarded, wont know until Sept and school starts end of July. Anybody have any ideas/advice or have been in similar siotuation?

thanks,
:confused:

Members don't see this ad.

I don't know who you've tried to get loans from, and I'm not sure if the answer will vary at all, but my private undergrad loans are from Citibank. For the number of times I've highly recommended them, *I* should start getting money from them! Give them a shot because they were awfully nice to me. They required a co-signer on only my first loan. Anyway to find a different co-signer? And yes, above all, talk to your school's FA office.

Members don't see this ad :)
Sorry. No advice here for you. (only an ms-1 here)
But, when I was at the SLU fin aid meeting, they talked about students who were turned down for private loans as ms3-4, and actualy left school for a year because of it for work. The fin aid person giving the talk wasn't the nicest so I ignored it with the assumption she was full of it. With you'r posting though, I'm starting to wonder if maybe she wasn't 100% full though....