What happens to my IBR if I get married?

Started by Margo
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Margo

Full Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I am currently on IBR for my medical school loans. I wanted to know if I can somehow keep my loans/finances separate if I get married. I'd really like to avoid the situation where my future husband has to pay for my school loans. Or is it inevitable that our incomes will be combined by the loan holder once I am married, and then I may no longer be eligible for IBR?
Thanks so much for your help.
 
If you file jointly, your joint income will be used to calculate your monthly payment. If you file separately, they'll just use your income. No actual responsibility for loans gets transferred to a spouse, though.