What has been the trend??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

2005pharmD

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Typically speaking, out of the 3 PCAT test dates, on which one do applicants do better as a whole? (October, November, or January)? Anyone knows what the trend has been over the last several years? Is there any hard facts on this? Statistics?

As you know, PCAT is scored on a percentile basis; so this means your score is of course dependant on how well others do.

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Jonno1288 said:
Most of the people I knew did better on the November one.

Any idea about the January of the previous years, in comparison with october and novermber of the previous years???

2005pharmD said:
Typically speaking, out of the 3 PCAT test dates, on which one do applicants do better as a whole? (October, November, or January)? Anyone knows what the trend has been over the last several years? Is there any hard facts on this? Statistics?

As you know, PCAT is scored on a percentile basis; so this means your score is of course dependant on how well others do.

Thanks

To those taking the PCATs, does it really which is a better month to take the PCATS? I really think this is a somewhat silly question...I mean, back in high school, did you guys worry about when to take the SAT (Is and IIs) since the scores from the SATs, like the PCATs, are also affected by how others perform (though it's not quite heavily dependent on it as are the PCATs)? Since your score is affected by how well others do and there's probably an equal # of smart and not so smart people taking the Oct/Nov/Jan one, there's really no way to tell. You should just focus on you and yourself as opposed to figuring out the trend. If everybody knew about this trend, then, more "smart" people would take the PCATS at that particular time, thereby ruining the trend of "which one [of the 3 test dates] applicants do better as a whole."

No offense, just my opinion. I think you should channel your energy to doing more productive things, like studying for the PCATs so you can score the highest you can as opposed to figuring out a trend, even though some people may claim that "most people" they knew did better on a particular test date (I'd rather not get into all the details of statistical sampling...) :)

Best of luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
2005pharmD said:
Any idea about the January of the previous years, in comparison with october and novermber of the previous years???
Just take the PCAT. Contrary to popular belief, it isn't how you did in comparison to the people that took it that particular day, it's how you did in comparison to the people that took it that day AND the people that took it in the previous five years. If you're trying to time your PCAT test date, you're wasting your time. Jacksonville was an awesome superbowl host! Go JAGS!

In regards to how the percentile score works. The scaled score is actually compared to all first time PCAT takers for the last 6 years. Don't ask me how they do that though. So I would guess that your score wouldnt change much at all regardless of when you take it.

endlesslove said:
To those taking the PCATs, does it really which is a better month to take the PCATS? I really think this is a somewhat silly question...I mean, back in high school, did you guys worry about when to take the SAT (Is and IIs) since the scores from the SATs, like the PCATs, are also affected by how others perform (though it's not quite heavily dependent on it as are the PCATs)? Since your score is affected by how well others do and there's probably an equal # of smart and not so smart people taking the Oct/Nov/Jan one, there's really no way to tell. You should just focus on you and yourself as opposed to figuring out the trend. If everybody knew about this trend, then, more "smart" people would take the PCATS at that particular time, thereby ruining the trend of "which one [of the 3 test dates] applicants do better as a whole."

No offense, just my opinion. I think you should channel your energy to doing more productive things, like studying for the PCATs so you can score the highest you can as opposed to figuring out a trend, even though some people may claim that "most people" they knew did better on a particular test date (I'd rather not get into all the details of statistical sampling...) :)

Best of luck!

Endlesslove,

If you don't know the answer, please don't even attempt to answer the damn question. It doesn't concern you. Tired of seeing people NOT answering what was asked, and instead running their mouths for NOTHING!!!

I took the PCAT in January, and will never take it again, period, dot. So don't you worry about where I'm "channeling" my energy.

I thought this was an interesting question. I didn't know that my score was compared to all of the first time scores from the past 5 or 6 years!

Wow, Betty'sBeast and Laferno, I didn't know that. It's interesting. I think, using this method, it actually results in a better representative of how you've done, since it takes into account a broader (or the broadest possible :) ) performance range from everyone.

Yeah, there's been quite a few changes to the PCAT this year. Up until this year, the test dates were in October, January, and March; now they're in October, November, and January....and, this was also the first year that your score is compared to ALL test takers as laferno said, instead of only the test takers on your particular test date. All I can say is I'm really glad I took the test before they added the calculus stuff and the essay. :) :thumbup:

Roxicet said:
Yeah, there's been quite a few changes to the PCAT this year. Up until this year, the test dates were in October, January, and March; now they're in October, November, and January....and, this was also the first year that your score is compared to ALL test takers as laferno said, instead of only the test takers on your particular test date. All I can say is I'm really glad I took the test before they added the calculus stuff and the essay. :) :thumbup:

Wow, March would've been really late, especially that it takes them 4-6 weeks to score the tests and send them to schools. Sort of impractical. It's probably better this way.

2005pharmD said:
Wow, March would've been really late, especially that it takes them 4-6 weeks to score the tests and send them to schools. Sort of impractical. It's probably better this way.
It wasn't that late if you took it a year early like me :) I took it in March so that I had the opportunity to take it a few more times before I actually applied. Unfortunately the PCAT was the second weekend of my spring break :( Not very fun for me!

I have a question...it might be a dumb one. Someone told me that when you take the PCAT your score is calculated on everyone that has EVER taken it. But another person also told me that it's only based on the people that took it at the same I did. Which is true? Thanks!

foroneaudience said:
I have a question...it might be a dumb one. Someone told me that when you take the PCAT your score is calculated on everyone that has EVER taken it. But another person also told me that it's only based on the people that took it at the same I did. Which is true? Thanks!

Try the reading comprehension section above your post.

ForcedEntry said:
Try the reading comprehension section above your post.

Thanks, I scrolled through a lot of the posts and didn't see anything the first time, thanks for your help! :)

So if you are a second time or third time test taker, do the scores that you are compared to are they from the repeat test takers of the past 5-6 years? Im taking the test for a 2nd time in october. who will i be scaled against?

Test percentages aren't based on those that took the test with you or the people who took the test last year.

The percentage scores are based on all first time test takers from oct 98' through march03'. If some of you would take the time to read the info book that comes with the test you would see this.

It is also posted on harcourt's site. Therefore it doesn't matter when or where you take the test.

Have a nice day
DR

Wait a minute. They once didn't have calculus and writing on the exam? When was this? By the way, I though calculus and writing was the stupidest and pointless part of the exam.