what have you published?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

what have you published?

• research paper (first, second or third author)

Votes: 30 85.7%
  • short story in a well known book or magazine

Votes: 2 5.7%
  • poetry in a well known book or magazine

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • your own novel, book of short stories or book of poetry

Votes: 3 8.6%

• Total voters

wendywellesley

speller extrodinaire
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
so i was talking to someone today who thought he knew something about applying to med school.
this is what he said: "wendy- you need something weird and uber-unique about you to get in, that's all they care about, it's not the numbers! you should write a book and have it published by the time you apply!!"

i told him that i thought i was weird enough but he insisted i write a book (his financee is at harvard med and suddenly he's an expert on getting into med school). i brushed him off. but then that go me thinking- getting a book published would be really neat (but probably really expensive). does anyone have any experience with this? how does one get a book published (i was thinking a book of poetry since i actually do write poetry never really published though, except for this DIY college mag)?

(i'm kind of joking but kind of not, i want to see if anyone else has published anything and if it helped their application)

thanks!!

Members don't see this ad.

I would advise investing that effort elsewhere. But, if you do go down that path, be careful not get yourself in with some sort of vanity press. They will milk you for lots of bling.

!dr_nick! said:
I would advise investing that effort elsewhere.

you got any suggestions?

!dr_nick! said:
But, if you do go down that path, be careful not get yourself in with some sort of vanity press. They will milk you for lots of bling.

yeah, i'm afraid of that. i was thinking a university press would be a resonable option is they like my stuff.

Members don't see this ad :)
OH, lol. I didnt see the option up there for a research paper. That would be a good option. *edit btw, do you feel genuinely qualified to write a book? And, now that i think about it, one person in my class has had a book of poetry published by her university press (part of her senior seminar).
As far as other efforts, Im not super sure of the particulars of your profile. Have you started an mdapplicants profile or anything? I'd be happy to offer suggestions based on what you have or havent done.

!dr_nick! said:
OH, lol. I didnt see the option up there for a research paper. That would be a good option. *edit btw, do you feel genuinely qualified to write a book? And, now that i think about it, one person in my class has had a book of poetry published by her university press (part of her senior seminar).
As far as other efforts, Im not super sure of the particulars of your profile. Have you started an mdapplicants profile or anything? I'd be happy to offer suggestions based on what you have or havent done.

i'm working on the research paper now (i'm supposedly first author on it) but i don't think it will be even in submission by the time I apply in july, we have text but we still need to run some more experiments which will probably happen somewhere in feb or begining of march.

i do feel semi-confident in my poetry, but it could stink... i think poetry is like that. i've never had anyone in the publishing world read it but i would like someone to and give me feedback as to where i stand. if it is absolutly horrible, then no, i'm not up for writing a book, not even short stories, i get too frustrated with writing fictional prose.

i have done a lot.... i could give you the run down, if you are really interested. i haven't set up an mdapplicant profile since i'm applying this coming cycle.

Yeah I published 30 sonnets, not.

Where's the "not a single thing" option?

wendywellesley said:
i have done a lot.... i could give you the run down, if you are really interested. i haven't set up an mdapplicant profile since i'm applying this coming cycle.
Fo shizzle.

BTW another good idea is to practice interview skills. Most people are uncomfortable selling themselves, but that's basically what you are doing. Maybe apply for some jobs you have no intention of taking just to put yourself on the spot.

can the three people who have published something other than a research paper PM me and give me more info? (if you are comfortable about it)

thanks so much!!!!