What high school classes should I be taking?

Johnnyze

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, I've been lurking on these forums for about a year now and this is my first time posting. I'm sorry if this is the wrong sub.

I am a high school student going into Grade 11 next year (the year they start keeping track of the marks) so what I choose now will have an impact on the rest of my life. I want to be a neurosurgeon, that has been the goal for a long time now and I am curious about what courses I should be taking. I asked a teacher and they told me to just take all of the sciences, but I cannot see the benefit to taking something like earth science. I am also not the greatest mathematician so I wouldn't mind choosing the non calculus math course, but I don't want to screw up my future.

Thanks for any input you guys have, and again sorry if this is in the wrong place or if it's been asked (which im sure it has) a million times before.

Members don't see this ad.

As a long time lurker, you should be familiar with the search feature. Use it often

As for which classes you should be taking now, that really depends on the type of student you are (honor role, AP, honors, gen ed, etc). Consideration for taking actual college classes during your junior and senior years is also a factor if your school allows students to take them (if not you can always take some during the summer). After you answer those questions, more accurate advice can be given for your particular situation.

A couple of resources you might find interesting:

1. AAMC applying to medical school
https://students-residents.aamc.org...-apply/medical-school-admission-requirements/

2. List of medical schools and their individual requirements

https://members.aamc.org/eweb/Dynam..._prd_key=1DCF976C-7DB9-465F-B858-3D7DDDE04E4C

3. Speak to an admissions counselor at your local medical school. Just schedule an appointment to speak with them -- normally they will entertain meetings with premed and high school students alike. They are the best source of information for getting into that particular school and the information can be generalized for most other medical schools.

4. Get the app To (Where Maters) on your smart phone. Allows for students and residents to look up schools and residency programs based on where you'd like to live.

Lastly, shadowing or volunteering is just as impost as classes

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Reactions: 1 user