What highschool classes should I take?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Kota1000

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I want to be a small animal veterinarian or veterinary surgeon and was wondering what classes I should take during my last 2 yrs of highschool?
I am planning on taking geometry with advanced algebra next year so when I'm a senior I will be in Calculus. I will be in biology next year then chemistry the year after that.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
It doesn't matter what HS classes you take... just take whatever classes you want, make good grades in them, and apply to whatever colleges/universities you want! School doesn't really start mattering until after high school.

Reactions: 1 user
Hazelmoo's right, when you apply to vet school you won't have to list the classes you took in high school, unless you take AP classes or other courses for college credit. I took a bunch of AP classes in high school, which allowed me to get some gen eds out of the way and have more time for classes I enjoyed in undergrad, but then I didn't have those easier classes like Biology I, Chemistry I, etc. to boost my undergrad GPA. So there are pros and cons to earning college credit in high school. Regardless, exposure to biology, chemistry and physics in high school might make those subjects easier in undergrad. If your school offers an anatomy course (even if it's human anatomy), that might be helpful.

But the main thing is to start practicing good study skills now, and make good grades so that you can earn scholarships for undergrad. Having little to no debt from undergrad will make the huge debt burden of vet school a bit easier to bear. Also, start getting shadowing experience now if you can, you CAN list veterinary/animal experiences from high school on your vet school application!

Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you both. I do get good grades and already have shadowing experience so I guess that'd mean I'm on track.

I want to be a small animal veterinarian or veterinary surgeon and was wondering what classes I should take during my last 2 yrs of highschool?
I am planning on taking geometry with advanced algebra next year so when I'm a senior I will be in Calculus. I will be in biology next year then chemistry the year after that.
I think you're pretty well set.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk