What if Fed and Grad plus loans are not enough?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

JamieMac

Elite Member
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm in a different situation than most. I'll be attending a private dental school about 1 hour from where I live until I sell my house. The problem is that I will only be able to get about $15,K in excess of tuition per year, and $6000+ of that will be going to gas alone until I get closer! Once my mortgage and living expenses are factored in, I'm about $8,K under what I need. Selling a house in Michigan is a very difficult thing to do right now, so I have to be prepared for the worst - 4 years of this situation.

So, my question is:
Can one obtain private loans that are not due until graduation to cover any excess amounts?

Thanks for any feedback.

Members don't see this ad.

I'm in a different situation than most. I'll be attending a private dental school about 1 hour from where I live until I sell my house. The problem is that I will only be able to get about $15,K in excess of tuition per year, and $6000+ of that will be going to gas alone until I get closer! Once my mortgage and living expenses are factored in, I'm about $8,K under what I need. Selling a house in Michigan is a very difficult thing to do right now, so I have to be prepared for the worst - 4 years of this situation.

So, my question is:
Can one obtain private loans that are not due until graduation to cover any excess amounts?

Thanks for any feedback.

Let me guess. U of D. (Yes I know limited choices and it's the only private school in the state for dental.)

I suggest you try to find someone to carpool with early in the year. I commute to wayne state from rochester but I actually stream most of my lectures so I can avoid going down there for most days of the week except when we have labs.

As for tuition and fees I feel your pain. You will be paying well over 50k a year for tuition, books, and supplies. You will need private loans no matter how you cut it. As for private loans themselves, many are eligible for deferment during school. You have to shop around. Thankfully I've been able to avoid private loans.