What if one doesn't honor or high pass neurosurgery?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

zama

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, is this an automatic death sentence to match into a good program or does one have a chance assuming this person has a step 1 higher than 240 with research, pubs, and good clincal grades? I have not done surgery yet, so wondering thanks.

P.S. please don't reply with "listen to your heart and follow your passion" or something to that extent. The sentiment would be appreciated, but I want a real, concrete answer. Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

I would be shocked to find that someone passionate about neurosurgery who did an elective rotation in neurosurgery 4th year was not able to get honors. It probably means the attendings/residents didn't like you.

If you mean not getting honors in your 3rd year surgery clerkship, I don't think that is that big of a deal.

at the majority of schools' 3rd yrs said that tho nsg rotation itself was hell, everyone usu got honors. i mean, it makes no sense for the gunners who want neurosurgery to bust their hump and get pass, and the philanderer who just shows up with caffeine pills get honors.

probably not like that everywhere