What if the program begins before graduation...?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Balliamo402

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So one of the programs to which I'm applying starts on May 20, 2013, but the last day of that spring semester will be May 24th. Has anyone had this type of conflict? I would probably ask to take my final exams before the 20th. I'm not sure of the exact date of graduation as yet. (By the way, my school is largely a commuter school, and a lot of my friends who've graduated actually opted not to go to graduation... I think our official diplomas are mailed to us anyway.) Would the program have a problem with not having officially graduated/receiving a diploma before starting the program itself? Any thoughts?

Members don't see this ad.

I would opt to not go to that program just because of that. NO BREAK?! That's crazy lol. That's a unique situation, because schools usually say they need final transcripts before school starts, but it's not like you can change the day that your spring semester ends. Give the program a call. Also, just out of curiosity, would you be moving to a new state/city for the program? That's a lot of stress and so little time :eek:

I know, I was thinking about that too. :/ Ideally I'd want to spend my last "free" days doing something enjoyable or relaxing before the tough 3ish years ahead. Unfortunately, this is the only program that has offered me an interview (so far - hoping to hear from a few more in the upcoming weeks/months!). Is it something I should bring up at the interview, or better to ask ahead of time?

Members don't see this ad :)
Oh, and I probably would not have to move. By car, I'm assuming it's no more than half an hour away, so there's that as a pro.

I would definitely go ahead and ask that at the interview. You stated it's your only interview thus far, so I'm assuming you're going? Might as well talk it over in person rather than on the phone. Yea that's great that it's that close to home, it makes it a little better haha. You need to find out about your school's finals too. Where I attend school, we aren't allowed to switch final days because those are university sanctioned/set in stone. Just curious, what program is it you're looking at?

Why not bring it up at the interview? this is an important question. Walking for graduation is not important to your grad program or receiving your degree. That transcrip is important as is completion of the degree program. I would also think that if the PT program is in the same state as your undergrad program they must have encountered this in the past or they surely will this cycle.
You may want that break.

Thanks a lot for the input. :)

@nicolej5 - This is the NYIT program. Ah, I don't even know how I would manage to move so quickly & immediately start the program. I guess the good thing would be the fact that I never really had the chance to get out of "school mode," haha. ;)

@Litlwarrior08 - That's a great point - surely I'm not the first person to have encountered this, haha, although I can't believe I didn't even realize the potential conflict when I first read the program description! But of course, I do want that break. Ah, I'll just have to see what happens.