1. What do you find most helpful? Give us your feedback on the 2019 SDN Member Survey to help further the SDN mission (and win prizes!)
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dismiss Notice

what if u dont like the PD?

Discussion in 'General Residency Issues' started by justwondering, Mar 2, 2007.

1. justwondering

5+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    how much does a PD affect your day to day life as an individual resident (ie aside from general policy decisions)? i ranked some programs highly where i didnt get a very "warm" feeling from the PD (actually opposite of warm). it was more of a personality thing rather than anything concrete (grades, etc), so i still think they would rank me and i might end up there. i ranked them highly bec the other things abt the programs are pretty good.

2. Winged Scapula

Winged Scapula Cougariffic!
    Staff Member Administrator Physician Faculty Lifetime Donor Verified Expert Verified Account 15+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    A lot, IMHO. Most are also clinicians with whom you will work with, both in the clinical and professional/career sense.

Some PDs are very powerful members of the department and if they don't like you, you may: not get ranked very high or have an unpleasant residency. OTOH, if they like you, they may save your hide when others want to skin it.

3. OP
    OP
    justwondering

5+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    thanks! thats kinda what i thought. oh well.