What if you get accepted to your not first choice school??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

rjiang1

Enjoy your Percocet sir!
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Sorry for the confusing title. So I was wondering, say you apply to 4 schools. Schools A an B being your 1st choice. However you get accpeted to C and D while you are still waiting for a reply from A and B. But C and D were just in case of emergency schools.

OK I know some schools you pay a deposit to save your seat or they give you time to make a descision. What about those people with 4+ acceptances..how do hold off on the withdrawals without blowing away so much money. Or if im missing something about this process please let me kno.thx

Members don't see this ad.

Sorry for the confusing title. So I was wondering, say you apply to 4 schools. Schools A an B being your 1st choice. However you get accpeted to C and D while you are still waiting for a reply from A and B. But C and D were just in case of emergency schools.

OK I know some schools you pay a deposit to save your seat or they give you time to make a descision. What about those people with 4+ acceptances..how do hold off on the withdrawals without blowing away so much money. Or if im missing something about this process please let me kno.thx

I don't think that there is any way to hold off on an offer of acceptance. The purpose of the deposit is to ensure that you're not holding onto acceptances while waiting for a "better school" to come your way. (Which is what you're stating that you want to do without being financially "punished.") The schools make tons of money this way and it makes applicants be more conservative about where they apply.

Well you wouldn't pay the deposit for more than one backup school. You might pay the deposit for one backup school while waiting to hear from your top pick, but you wouldn't pay the deposit at each school you are accepted to while waiting for your top pick, that doesn't make sense.

Members don't see this ad :)
Yeah. If you want to go to choice A, but get accepted to B,C, and D, I would make a deposit to one of the three you are accepted at while waiting for A.

Yeah. If you want to go to choice A, but get accepted to B,C, and D, I would make a deposit to one of the three you are accepted at while waiting for A.

This.

I was accepted at a school that was my second choice, but was waitlisted at the school that was my first choice. Put down the deposit for the second choice school and planned to go there. Luckily, about a week before I was going to move to the second choice school, my first choice called me and offered me admission. Talk about last second! :) But you would be silly to not put down that deposit... you'll be in pharmacy school... and although you won't be at your top choice, you'll still be getting a Pharm.D.