What if your friends/enemies are on the AdCom??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

donuthole

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey,

I was just thinking about this situation the other day. My ex-girlfriend (a first-year at my top choice med school and who now hates my guts) is on the AdCom at literally my top choice school. Also, I have lots of acquaintances who graduated from my undergrad who are now first-year med students at all these really good schools. I'm thinking some of them may even be on the AdCom. So I was wondering how much of a say these students have on our acceptance/rejection. Also, do these med students on the AdCom get to see our scores and GPA?? If so, that kind of sucks b/c mt ex-gf hates me, and also I can see these people I know (who may be on the adcom) telling everyone and their mom about my scores and GPA.

I was wondering if any of you have any insight into this matter.

Thanks in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

they should have zero influence. Unless they allow first years to review and reject Apps. (which they don't) or interview (which they might) I wouldn't worry about your ex. If they do let first years interview and you are assigned to your ex (very improbable) then she should request to have you interviewed by someone else...if she doesn't it's her ass not yours cause you can file a complaint. You can also call the admissions office and mention that you know a first year on the adcom. and see if they feel the need to know who it is, don't mention names or if it's a good or bad connection unless they ask...chances are its not even a factor.

actually, at my school, student members of adcoms (which include 1st-4th years) do get a vote equal to that of other members of adcoms. The way that I understand that it works is that the interviewer(s) present your app while members sit in a room with your app file (including your GPA, PS, etc) in front of them. After the interviewer reccomends or does not reccomend your app, other members are invited to comment, and then there is a vote. If your gf has a shred of professionalism, she should either exclude herself from your vote or she will remain neutral during the debate. If you are really worried about it being an issue (ie you really think that your gf will speak up against you at their meeting, or you are worried that your gf will not respect your applications confidentiality), you can e-mail or speak with the dean of admissions and just tell him/her that you and your gf have a past history together and that you would be more comfortable, if possible, if she could not sit in while they discuss your application. I suspect that your ex will not give your app a problem though, the only thing that she might do is vote against your app, but one vote usually doesn't make the difference.

Members don't see this ad :)
the smart thing would be to try and get back together with her.... :laugh:

Thanks for the responses guys. Yeah hopefully my ex-gf will be professional enough to not vote against me.

Also, I was wondering if the med students on the ADCOM are allowed to look at our GPA and MCAT scores?

Thanks.

depends on the school, and whether it's closed or open or somewhere in between interviews.

sonya

ad coms definitely can look at your gpa/mcat...

how else will they know u accept u/reject u?

hey mm,

if you had read my post, i asked if the med students on the adcom can look at our score/gpa. b/c i heard that they don't in some cases

if she is on the adcom.. then i would assume that she has access to that info... like i said.. how else would she be able to vote for you.

if she is simply interviewing you as an app (on interview day).. then it depends on the school's open/close file policies...

but an interviewer isn't on the adcom.. so when you said adcom.. i assume she is a voting member... and therefore must have access to your ish.

mmz6