What if you're not so smart?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

drakkan2001

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Do any of you peeps feel that you're not intelligent enough to get into med school? I feel this way all the time. I'm a pretty hard worker and I have good grades to reflect this (3.8 gpa overall 3.75 science) but I'm not at all intelligent. I say this because I ask a lot of "dumb" questions, have very little common sense, and I'm not the sharpest knife on the block. But despite all these flaws I've been working hard, studying day and night, taking on a job, doing volunteer work just so that I could have a "chance" in med school. If I do get in for some miraculous reason will I turn out to be a dud who didn't deserve to get into med school in the first place? Or am I too hard on myself and just need to take a breather? I just don't want to jeopardize someone's life just because I'm not sharp/smart enough. Uh...

Members don't see this ad.

common sense is something you develop by making mistakes then realizing why you made the mistake and not doing it again.

It's not always innate.

I woudn't worry about it too much... There are alot of stupid doctors out there, and I'm sure your not as dumb as they are. Especially since you think about these things. This would indicatate to me that you are much smarter than you are giving yourself credit for.

Members don't see this ad :)
I've said it before, and I'll say it again...medicine isn't full of geniuses, but it IS full of hard workers...I think you'll make a FINE doctor someday! :)

And here's to all the people who have to work their ASSES off to get to med! :clap:

I have a feeling (actually, it's more than a feeling) that a lot of pre-meds are in your boat. Pre-meds work notoriously hard and are so motivated, that their effort sometimes compensates for their less than stellar intelligence. So, you are not alone, and people like you have probably made it through med school adn residency fine. But, when push comes to shove and hard work can't compensate anymore (residency and beyond) it might catch up to you. That is when the cream truly rises to the top. That is, of course, just my well-informed opinion.

Hard work and good decisions can make up for almost any lack of ability/intelligence.

Besides the geniuses will only have an easier time in med school. Once we're doctors, we're all on the same boat, and it won't make a bit of difference.

Yeah,

Based on some of your posts it seems like you are a little dumber than most of the other people that are applying. It's okay though, the state schools will still want you just for the averages. They'll just sit you in the corner of the class and instruct you to be seen and not heard, but with time may come to accept your genuine oafishness.

I agree about the hard work and being able to question yourself and your abilities. These are great qualities, and as a physician it would make alot of sense to be conservative and careful, and to ask others opinions when you're not sure - rather than feel: heck, I know it all, I'm really smart, and then rush headlong into some awful disaster.

Smart comes in alot of different packages.

Originally posted by drakkan2001
Do any of you peeps feel that you're not intelligent enough to get into med school? I feel this way all the time. I'm a pretty hard worker and I have good grades to reflect this (3.8 gpa overall 3.75 science) but I'm not at all intelligent. I say this because I ask a lot of "dumb" questions, have very little common sense, and I'm not the sharpest knife on the block. But despite all these flaws I've been working hard, studying day and night, taking on a job, doing volunteer work just so that I could have a "chance" in med school. If I do get in for some miraculous reason will I turn out to be a dud who didn't deserve to get into med school in the first place? Or am I too hard on myself and just need to take a breather? I just don't want to jeopardize someone's life just because I'm not sharp/smart enough. Uh...

dude, don't worry so much. it's not just book smarts that matter in making a good doctor. if you've got the drive and dedication and compassion, you'll make a fine doctor. believe me, the thought of operating on someone or even having someone entrust their well-being in my hands at this point is terrifying to me. however, in med school you'll go through a lot of maturing and they'll help you gradually get the skills you need to be a great doc. don't worry about asking dumb questions...there really aren't any such things (as long as you ask them to the teacher one-on-one and don't use up class time. :) ) think positive; have faith in yourself; keep working hard, and you'll do just fine. :)

Do you often feel as if you are a fraud, that what people see is not the real you?

Were you abused as a child, sexually, physically, or emotionally?

Have you experienced head trauma? Any violent impact to the head in sports, accidents, drunken exploits, etc, not necessarily resulting in concussion?

Do you have frequent personal conflicts, impulsiveness, anger, suicidal thoughts, (not all, any)?

If you answered yes, see a psychiatrist. Seriously.

If not, lighten up dude, you get good grades, study hard for the MCAT and feel good about life!

Jess

Since we're all premeds, then we love numbers and stats and percentages and ranks. Go take a free online IQ test and post your results, along with your GPA, MCAT, height, penis size, max bench press (bra size for girls), and amount of money you and your parents make. That will make you feel better, and will give you a good idea of your "class rank" and future chances for success.

Seriously, if you're managing such a great GPA with hard science classes, then you either are working through the night or are smart enough for med school. Or both.

I'm in complete agreement here. I mean, dumbest premed (the SDN user) has multiple acceptances I think. He is living proof that genius is not a requirement for medical school. Truly, he is an inspiration to us all.

Members don't see this ad :)
silly rabbit....

we are all smart. you included. we are future doctors. thats what society thinks. just go with the floooooooooooow.

not so smart...hah. ridiculous i say. :cool:

Drakkan,

After reading your post, it seems to me that you just need more self-confidence. I think that you should take pride in your academic and EC accomplishments; from what you said, you seem to be a lot more on top of your game than a lot of people I know from college. Make sure that you reflect on this before interviews, because adcoms want to see that you are a confident person.

I agree, hard work counts for something. You have proven that you are able to learn and apply that knowledge in a testing situation.
You will take the things you have learned, and apply them at the next level. You will do this when you take the MCAT (if you haven't already), when you enter medical school, and when you enter your practice as a physician.
Your medical education does not stop at the end of med school, nor at the end of your residency. You will take knowledge gained in each experience, and apply it to the next. You will be taught how to do this in Medical School.
This is why it is called "practicing" medicine. Not "doing" medicine
My point is; you have proven that you are capable of learning. More capable than a lot of people, as your stats show.
Practical knowledge will come through experience, so relax and enjoy the ride.

I am yet to see a drunk who can admit that he is an alcoholic.
I say work on your self-esteem. Sharpness of mind comes with age and experience.
Good luck, and don't let them get you down.

I don't think you see the big picture. You do well in school, but your attitude and esteem are the real issues here. You need to get some real, supportive friends and get out more often with other people. That will help you the most in being a future doctor. Who wants to go to a self proclaimed "dud" of a doctor?

:confused:

Originally posted by drakkan2001

I know exactly how you feel. One way to handle it is to trust the admissions committees. If they let you into med school, trust that they think you will make a good doctor. They have seen a lot of students and if they say you're good enough, then you are probably good enough.

The time to ask yourself soul-searching questions like this is when you start leaving surgical equipment in patients, or when you are 60 years old and start forgetting the name of your spouse.

Confidence is the key issue here. Good doctor=confident in his descisions and abilities otherwise you will be wracked by self-doubt and indecision given the gravity of sit

If you want to be a succesful applicant/physician, start by cultivating your ego

I agree with all of you. You seem that you lack confidence. and that is a big part of being a doctor. Give yourself credit for what you have achieved. May be you need to travel and exprerience other cultures. If you take an initiateive of this sort, you will realise that the fact that you are a hard working pre-med has already put you in a different category than most of the world-- give yourslef credit for your dedication and persistance, even if information does not seem to just flow in your head.

Originally posted by Biffer
Confidence is the key issue here. Good doctor=confident in his descisions and abilities otherwise you will be wracked by self-doubt and indecision given the gravity of sit

If you want to be a succesful applicant/physician, start by cultivating your ego

Do you think it's a good idea to try to fake confidence when you don't really have it?

Doesn't true confidence come from the knowledge that you truly do have the proper expertise?

Anyone can pretend to be confident. But not everyone has true expertise. Expertise comes from practice.

pretending is good practice....

especially if the person is just lacking some self esteem. i know a lot of my students are smart and know how to do it if they put their mind to it but they just assume they cant because they have been pigeonholed into thinking they arent smart enough to do it.

its really frustrating to deal with sometimes but just gotta remind them that they are that good.