What if

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

hanjoko

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I know that this question must have been answered a lot of times...but please bear with me. :oops: How do you guys know that medicine is right for you? I feel that this is what I really want to do at this point but what if this is wrong in the future?

I guess my fear is NOT from the fact that I will waste my time and money if medical school is not right...my fear is that - what is right for me if medical school turns out not right?

I am a little anxious and nervous right now, but I don't think that is really why I am afraid. Have you guys ever thought of this? Or just all of a sudden, not sure if this is right? :confused:

Members don't see this ad.

hanjoko said:
I know that this question must have been answered a lot of times...but please bear with me. :oops: How do you guys know that medicine is right for you? I feel that this is what I really want to do at this point but what if this is wrong in the future?

I guess my fear is NOT from the fact that I will waste my time and money if medical school is not right...my fear is that - what is right for me if medical school turns out not right?

I am a little anxious and nervous right now, but I don't think that is really why I am afraid. Have you guys ever thought of this? Or just all of a sudden, not sure if this is right? :confused:

There is no such thing as "wasting your time". Your time goes by at the same rate no matter whether you are in medical school or at Disney Land (in fact it probably feel like it goes by a lot slower at the former). You should research your decision as much as possible before taking that plunge. Once you have taken the plunge and are happy with it, forge ahead. If at some later date it somehow loses its appeal, there will be a variety of ways one could use an MD other than as a clinician. Take it from a career changer -- you are not locked into a path forever. There will likely be financial and family entanglements for you at some point, but if you can work around those, you can always try something else.