What is a DIO? Residency meeting DIO

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

studyaholic

Full Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
What exactly is a DIO? We have one of our didactic blocked off for a DIO meeting, and I was curious is this normal? Wondering if other residencies have random meetings with the DIO. All I know is that the DIO is the director's boss, but it's weird she's an RN. I'm so confused with all these positions!

I noticed we also have a resident's wellness meeting blocked off too. Our entire day of didactic is blocked off for these 2 things, does it mean something happened?

Thanks in advance for explaining this to me!
 
The DIO is the person who is in charge of all GME in your institution. They technically oversee your PD. They do not need to be a doc -- they can be an administrator, etc. They are responsible for communications with the ACGME, making sure that programs all follow the rules, etc.

I can't tell you why the DIO wants to meet with you. Resident wellness is a new focus of the ACGME, so there may not have been an incident, but rather your institution is trying to be proactive.
 
The DIO is the person who is in charge of all GME in your institution. They technically oversee your PD. They do not need to be a doc -- they can be an administrator, etc. They are responsible for communications with the ACGME, making sure that programs all follow the rules, etc.

I can't tell you why the DIO wants to meet with you. Resident wellness is a new focus of the ACGME, so there may not have been an incident, but rather your institution is trying to be proactive.

Thank you very much for the clarification. That's great they're being proactive, and trying to help us 🙂 I just got nervous when I saw DIO.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
So the DIO was just there for a quarterly meeting lol...social media and facebook warnings. Psychiatrist just to see how we were doing, and how to handle any problems we were having. It was actually very good, I've rotated so many places but never seen this, I like it. Highly suggest other programs implement this!