What is a good % of residents for a program to place into fellowships?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

FunnyDocMan1234

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Any numbers on what is considered high/low?

Members don't see this ad.

I think that depends on the personality of the class as much as it does on the program. If most of the people are interested in hospitalist gig, then it's not program's doing. I don't think that it a a fair question. A better question would be to figure out what percent of the candidates who apply for fellowship actually get in.

I would guess higher would be better.

Whatever number people chime in with, it is highly unlikely to be informative for your purposes. Asking a program director "what percentage of your residents matched into fellowships?" is like asking a medical school dean "what percentage of your medical students matched into their top 3?"

The denominator you should be interested in is "of the residents who wanted to match to /Program Uppity Muck/ for GI, what % actually matched there? Of the residents who wanted to match to /Program Boondock U/ for cardiology, what % actually matched there?" and so forth.

As the previous commenter pointed out, some people don't want to do a fellowship. They should be removed from the denominator. Some people don't want to go to Program Uppity Muck, maybe they met someone who lives in Boondock, ND and they matched to fellowship there so that they could be close to their partner's family. And so forth.

Sure, if you see a lot of Hopkinses and MGHs in a fellowship match list, then you probably have a estimate for whether or not that particular residency program is competitive in the fellowship marketplace, but it's a very poor estimate at best.

I would say for most academic IM programs, approx 50-70% of graduates go into fellowship. (This is not based on any verified source, but just my experience). With that said, as other posters mentioned, this varies every year depending on what graduates that year want to do (fellowship vs. primary care/hospitalist) or where they want to live. A better number is what percentage of those who apply actually match. However, this is probably not a number that is published on websites and programs will just say "primary care/hospitalist" for those who don't match. That number also doesn't include those who are discouraged from applying. In any case, if OP is dead set on a fellowship, then I think going to a place where at least 20% of graduates consistently match into fellowships is reasonable.