What is a gunner?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Jmuhnie

Justin
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Here's a link to a sound bite which explains what a gunner truely is.

If this has been here before...sorry...I like it.

Gunner

Members don't see this ad.

:thumbup: good post.

let's all strive to not become "gunners" as described in the link. getting good grades is one thing; being a jerk about it is another.

Members don't see this ad :)
npr is pimping

someone PMed and asked me where they can get NPR transcripts..i hope they went to the site

gunner present

Jmuhnie said:

Gunner

Thanks for the link. That was very well put.

He wasn't harsh enough though (he didnt go into how insecure these worthless losers tend to be).

He also didnt talk about the people who have the gunner attitude yet lack the talent and accomplishments that are supposed to go with it. What is the technical name for such a person? Few things are more amusing to me than when I see some insecure dickhead go around acting like they are better than everyone else, obsess about grades and scores, and find out that they scored less than me (they actually manage to find out and are furious but cant call me an idiot because according to their criteria I am better/smarter than them). I think 95% of people who have the gunner attitute are the mediocre breed of gunner.

Harvard Medical School, what did I expect? Every book about medicine, article about medical school, NPR report about medical students seems to have to do with HMS, it's like the only med school worthy of producing news.

TheProwler said:
I cannot stand the melodramatic way they talk on NPR. :rolleyes:

I agree, especially with this report. It's too over the top.

"And then there are... the gunners" (quiet sense of doom spreads)

Pinkertinkle said:
Harvard Medical School, what did I expect? Every book about medicine, article about medical school, NPR report about medical students seems to have to do with HMS, it's like the only med school worthy of producing news.
Don't forget the NOVA series...

Members don't see this ad :)
SanDiegoSOD said:
I agree, especially with this report. It's too over the top.

"And then there are... the gunners" (quiet sense of doom spreads)
A church organ playing in the background would have been good. :D

Cat's Meow said:
I nearly broke a rib laughing :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
you guys really haven't seen that before? it's been traversing the internets for at least a year now.

Jmuhnie said:

Gunner

Chuckle... sounds like they're a bunch of low self-esteem anal people that want to feel better about themselves by criticizing everyone around them or they use it get attention as to say "see how knowledgeable I am". They soun highly rules and details orientated... hmmm, and probably have critical parents too... as in their 4.0 GPA was never good enough.

I actually feel sort of bad for the poor blokes: they'll never be happy and they probably won't have very friends that aren't like themselves: a bunch of miserable, unsatisfied blokes that revel in putting others down just so they can feel special. :(

He said, "we gossip mercilessly about gunners". Sounds like he either has inferiority issues, or HMS is just a special place, specially packed with lots of gunners.

Fermata said:
Am I the only one who saw the irony in that sound bite considering that HE GOES TO HARVARD?

I find it ironic that he called the gunners arrogant and condescending. I think I would rather claw at a blackboard than listen to his arrogant tone again.

I'm sure his class loved him after he told the nation that he hates half of them.

patzan said:
I'm sure his class loved him after he told the nation that he hates half of them.
:laugh:

patzan said:

I sincerely doubt that he cares much about the opinion of the type of people he addressed in the article.

stoic said:
I sincerely doubt that he cares much about the opinion of the type of people he addressed in the article.
Then why does their gunnerishness burn him TO THE SOUL!
or....
he's another Haaaavahhhd snob.
(don't get me wrong, HMS people ready to flame me, I know a lot of nice Harvard people...and some snobs)

First of all you don't get into Harvard without being a super motivated, borderline "gunner". Second, I just think that this guy is used to being the big kahuna on campus and now he's not so he's jealous. And by the way, in my experience whenever I do a study group I also end up teaching everyone the info in question, so i guess I'm a gunner. Or maybe they're just not trying.

roarrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr