What is a professional way to remind a professor of a rec letter?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

studentdoctor08

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So we all know that professors get really busy and can forget things. My mentor is going to be out of town tomorrow, how should I remind her about a rec letter that will be due when she's away? She told me last week that she would do it, but I just want to double check with her again. Any tips? Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

"Hello Dr. whatEverYourNameIs,

This is just a friendly reminder to make sure you do not forget to send in that LOR you wrote me. Thanks! (or Thank you, or Thank you for your time depending on how formal you want to be)

Sincerely,

Alexander iWouldntPostMyLastNameOnThisSiteCuzIMightGetRaped"

Members don't see this ad :)
Show up in person and ask if he/she has had a chance to submit your letter of recommendation. If you're worried about how they will perceive it, they probably don't know you all that well.

Show up in person and ask if he/she has had a chance to submit your letter of recommendation. If you're worried about how they will perceive it, they probably don't know you all that well.

thats not true...

It depends on the professor. There were some that I wrote emails to, while there was one where I showed up with "new information" I wanted to add to my CV or a new pre-addressed, pre-stamped envelope for one of the schools or something like that as a reminder.

And there was one professor who has a reputation for losing stuff and not finishing these sorts of things on time (and he knows it) that I scheduled a several hour long meeting with and I sat in his office while he typed up the letters, printed them out and put them in sealed envelopes and then handed them to me. That way confidentiality was preserved but I was 100% sure that the letters were done and got to the correct place.