What is a question you wish your interviewer would ask you?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

narla_hotep

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
This is mostly a legit question and only mildly a ****post. I'm signed up to be a student interviewer for my school next week, and have honestly never interviewed anyone before so not sure how to go about this. Apparently we'll be sent a rubric to review an applicant and a few suggested questions, but don't have to stick to a script. So I figure I might as well have some fun with the idea of asking the questions for once, since in a few years I'll be back on the applicant end again. So pre-meds and applicants, what is a question, either silly or serious, you wish an interviewer would ask you?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
This is mostly a legit question and only mildly a ****post. I'm signed up to be a student interviewer for my school next week, and have honestly never interviewed anyone before so not sure how to go about this. Apparently we'll be sent a rubric to review an applicant and a few suggested questions, but don't have to stick to a script. So I figure I might as well have some fun with the idea of asking the questions for once, since in a few years I'll be back on the applicant end again. So pre-meds and applicants, what is a question, either silly or serious, you wish an interviewer would ask you?

"3 people are dying and you can only pick one, who do you pick?"

• Haha
Reactions: 13 users
Members don't see this ad :)
If you really want to make people squirm, "Tell me about a time you did something unethical".

• Haha
Reactions: 8 users
"Tell me about that speeding ticket you got 3 years ago. How fast were you going? What street were you on? Were you driving to an under served clinic? Why not?"

Credit: premed reddit

• Haha
Reactions: 11 users
"Will you go out with me?"

• Haha
Reactions: 4 users
"Tell me about a time you failed. Make sure it's a cool made up failure and not a real lame one" - from the same Reddit post.

For real though, I'd ask: "was there ever a time where you questioned becoming a physician?"

“Show me your best dance move—and also your worst dance move.”

“What do you dislike the most about doctors?”

“If you were the interviewer right now, what would you ask yourself?”

“Pretend that you’re your own worst enemy. What would you tell me to convince me not to accept you?”

“Weigh both the pros and the cons of slavery.”

“What’s a book or movie that you would never recommend to anybody, and why?”

“Is it fair that American doctors make more money than doctors in virtually every other country?”

“Would you have every dog in the world killed if it meant saving one human life?”

“If you had to choose a career that doesn’t require a college education, what would it be?”

Last edited:
Any question that I have preprepared an answer for is fair game

Reactions: 1 user
Without using your hands, describe how to tie your shoes. (If anyone asks you that, they aren't LizzyM; I don't use that one but I think that it is interesting.)

Good thing I have seen that episode of Spongebob more than once.

Members don't see this ad :)

"Are you ready to begin your career with us?" Best question an interviewer could ask.

Without using your hands, describe how to tie your shoes. (If anyone asks you that, they aren't LizzyM; I don't use that one but I think that it is interesting.)
Doing this mentally, I got stuck on describing how to finish the knot :(

edit: describing it to my satisfaction, that is.

Last edited by a moderator:
"Tell me about that speeding ticket you got 3 years ago. How fast were you going? What street were you on? Were you driving to an under served clinic? Why not?"

Credit: premed reddit
Shout out to Cincy for asking you that in their secondary

It’s a good exercise in clear and concise communication

Alright, if I wanted a legit interesting question....

Tell me about a time you felt guilty. What was the context, why did you feel guilty, what if anything did you do about it, what if anything would you do differently?

I love questions that make me highlight my negatives because all too often it feels like we are selling ourselves like a product and there isn't a whole lot of introspection. Introspective questions are good weed out questions, because you can tell when people are BSing.

Last edited by a moderator:
Mine would be: What is your biggest regret and what did you learn from it?

What are your personal values?
That's pretty introspective without the nightmare of having to dig up memories of past experiences to fit a question.
Also if a student starts giving their gpa and mcat, they misunderstood the question and revealed themselves to be gunners.

• Haha
No one asked about my hobbies! I feel like I have neat hobbies and I was too nervous to weave those in when they asked 'tell us about yourself'. Also think this is a very valid question if the point of an interview is to get to know you as an applicant.

Reactions: 2 users