What is a “safe” number of interviews to ensure (though impossible) you’ll get in somewhere

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

calipremed5768

Membership Revoked
Removed
Reaction score
Say I have 5 IIs (no brag). What would be the chances of being waitlisted/rejected at all 5? I’m wondering about this because I don’t know whether to keep working on secondaries sitting in my inbox or I should save those 100 dollar application fees for plane tickets hotels etc

Members don't see this ad.

• Haha
Reactions: 4 users
I feel like it is super correlated. If you are a bad interviewer than the odds you get WL/R at all 5 are higher than otherwise. There is no number b/c people interview differently. For a lot of people it's just 1. For someone who sucks at interviewing it could be a number that doesn't exist.

Reactions: 5 users
Members don't see this ad :)

This may be out of date, but should get you close enough. Calculate the rejection rate by doing 1-acceptance rate. Multiply the rejection rates together: this gives you the probability of being rejected by all schools. 1-that probability is the probability of being accepted to at least one school.

So if you take the top 5 schools on this list and have II to all of them, your probability of getting into at least 1 is 98%.

Of course this isn't a probability problem, it depends on how well you come across in interviews. Like dating, if you sound desperate, you won't be successful, and your recent posts have made you seem quite desperate. I would recommend trying to chill out a bit. Most applicants will get one or no IIs, so consider yourself lucky that you have time to practice and improve.

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users
D5baASYWkAEhp3e.jpg

• Haha
Reactions: 10 users
There is an old saying, "interviews three, a doctor you'll be." A couple years ago, I asked if there were people who had not been admitted despite 3 interviews, or had been admitted with three interviews or less. You could look up the thread.

• Love
Reactions: 8 users
There is an old saying, "interviews three, a doctor you'll be." A couple years ago, I asked if there were people who had not been admitted despite 3 interviews, or had been admitted with three interviews or less. You could look up the thread.

• Love
Reactions: 8 users
Say I have 5 IIs (no brag). What would be the chances of being waitlisted/rejected at all 5? I’m wondering about this because I don’t know whether to keep working on secondaries sitting in my inbox or I should save those 100 dollar application fees for plane tickets hotels etc
I don't care how may IIs one has. Getting accepted is 100% on you.

And given your post history, I'm not holding my breath, either.

• Haha
  • Love
Reactions: 23 users

8731EF43-467B-420F-9409-6775BF85700F.png

• Haha
Reactions: 17 users

I feel like CaliPremed is just Donald Trump pretending to be a pre-med as a hobby.

• Haha
Reactions: 21 users
Members don't see this ad :)
The safest number of interviews is all of them. All of the interviews.

Reactions: 5 users
New topic of the day for OP :)

Reactions: 1 users
I was so convinced that OP was bragging, but then I saw the (no brag). That was a close one for sure.

• Haha
Reactions: 35 users
New topic of the day for OP :)

Yea.
Stay tuned for tomorrow’s topic: “If have 8 top 10 interviews, what are my chances of being rejected at all of them?”

• Haha
Reactions: 13 users
My history:
10 II
I went to 7 interviews
1 acceptance. 2 WL, 4 R’s.

Pro tip: don’t suck at interviews

• Wow
  • Haha
Reactions: 15 users
No number of interviews will guarantee you an acceptance.

My history:
10 II
I went to 7 interviews
1 acceptance. 2 WL, 4 R’s.

Pro tip: don’t suck at interviews

Terrifying, but glad it worked out.

Reactions: 7 users
Yea.
Stay tuned for tomorrow’s topic: “If have 8 top 10 interviews, what are my chances of being rejected at all of them?”

I can't wait till he makes a post saying "Just got rejected from [insert T10]: Yield Protection?".

• Haha
  • Love
Reactions: 12 users
I can't wait till he makes a post saying "Just got rejected from [insert T10]: Yield Protection?".
No joke though...Will like Mayo Clinic ever just be like “This guy will be at Harvard SOM. NEXT!”

Reactions: 1 user
No joke though...Will like Mayo Clinic ever just be like “This guy will be at Harvard SOM. NEXT!”

No. The choice of picking one med school over another is extremely personal. So even Harvard has to make 2x acceptances relative to class size.

All kidding aside (assuming you are serious), you should realize that interviewing really isn't a series of random, disconnected events (like flips of a coin), whereby a certain number of chances will yield success due to the law of averages. You are the common denominator. Again, assuming what you post is real, 5IIs are tremendous, and only mean you look great on paper.

If that were enough, the schools wouldn't waste time and resources conducting interviews (like UG), and you'd be done. Since it's really not random, and a great paper application really isn't enough, you need to figure out how to present as well in person as you do on paper. If you don't figure it out, you will end up being an outlier with a lot of IIs and no As.

Tl; dr -- the chances are high if you suck at interviews, and are pretty low if you are personable.

Scheduled a mock interview with somebody who wrote my LOR. Also how do you go about asking for an interview date change after confirming? Need to do this because another school only gives a few dates but it would be impossible to make both

• Haha
Reactions: 3 users
Scheduled a mock interview with somebody who wrote my LOR. Also how do you go about asking for an interview date change after confirming? Need to do this because another school only gives a few dates but it would be impossible to make both
It varies from school to school but a good start would be calling admissions.

Again, if you are serious, I wouldn't ask to move the one I already scheduled, and would tell the one with a few dates that I need more dates due to conflicts. I promise you that there aren't only a few dates for the entire cycle -- they are most likely only scheduling a few dates at a time.

Growing up in California , I’ve dealt with students and premeds like this my entire life. The incessant “humblebrags,” constant posts about stats, always wondering what the next guys is doing or wondering how to get ahead in the name of “seeking information “ or helping others” but really all done to further ones own agenda at the expense of someone else. Recognize it for what it is and have fun with it. Just my opinion, of course.

Growing up in California , I’ve dealt with students and premeds like this my entire life. The incessant “humblebrags,” constant posts about stats, always wondering what the next guys is doing or wondering how to get ahead in the name of “seeking information “ or helping others” but really all done to further ones own agenda at the expense of someone else. Recognize it for what it is and have fun with it. Just my opinion, of course.

Attachments

• 39431863-4200-43E4-9F24-FED360B452A9.gif
    39431863-4200-43E4-9F24-FED360B452A9.gif
    129.1 KB · Views: 96
Wait, is that supposed to be me or calipremed...?
Either way, too funny!!

Do you even know who that YouTuber is xD
Nah, I just knew “I feel personally attacked” was a meme and a did a quick google to find the most applicable version. My meme repository is in my mind, still gotta google it to find the images. That is why my ****positng tends to have a delay.

Nah, I just knew “I feel personally attacked” was a meme and a did a quick google to find the most applicable version. My meme repository is in my mind, still gotta google it to find the images. That is why my ****positng tends to have a delay.

Who bumped you up to cat status? And whom can I ask to bump me up as well??

I did it myself. I had a cat for a while, then I self downgraded to Elmo because Elmo matches the essence of who I am. Now, I am feeling confident enough in myself to be cat status. In particular, stretchy kitty status.

His wife brought the cat to their house, I remember that story. So getting that cat status was more like a luck. But if you take care of a cat, you deserve that status, cats are purrfect.

I guess I'll just be here lonely in the dog icon corner. At least Moko is here too.

• Haha
I guess I'll just be here lonely in the dog icon corner. At least Moko is here too.

I have a dog too, but unfortunately she's all over my social media accounts and has some distinctive markings, so no bueno for use as an SDN avatar (yes, I'm that paranoid).

Good way to divert OP's serious question ;)

I had multiple high-LizzyM friends who got 6+ interviews, many at t20s, and ended up holding only a single admit each. Luckily it worked out for both of them, but if you know you aren't a great interviewer, I wouldn't start feeling safe yet. Competition is fierce and if you're the type that gets nervous and awkward, do some practice interviews.