What is a science GPA???

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

hokiemon

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
For those that have done or know about AMCAS, I believe they calculate your overall GPA and then something called a "science gpa?? or is it a BCPM gpa?

The difference in my understanding of course would be the "M" in "BCPM". My understanding would be the math grades calculated in would be our first year of calculus.

So does anyone know is just the science classes or is the BCPM gpa that AMCAS calculates. My confusion is due to US News publications and even med school websites that list their average science gpas but then mdapplicants and from what i hear AMCAS calculates a BCPM. Anyone got some knowledge to shed? Thx

Members don't see this ad.

For those that have done or know about AMCAS, I believe they calculate your overall GPA and then something called a "science gpa?? or is it a BCPM gpa?

The difference in my understanding of course would be the "M" in "BCPM". My understanding would be the math grades calculated in would be our first year of calculus.

So does anyone know is just the science classes or is the BCPM gpa that AMCAS calculates. My confusion is due to US News publications and even med school websites that list their average science gpas but then mdapplicants and from what i hear AMCAS calculates a BCPM. Anyone got some knowledge to shed? Thx

AMCAS calls it "BCPM", which is the same as what is generally referred to as a science GPA. It includes math: calculus, statistics and other math classes if you've taken more.

Anything SCIENCE! This is not rocket SCIENCE

Members don't see this ad :)
yea true. curry was pretty useless. i mean the basic question is what do you call science. most people won't call math a science and obviously by the first response, math is included in the science or bcpm gpa.

the question simply is are science and bcpm seperate gpas or the same. my BS is in engineering and i know all 25-30 engineering science classes will NOT be considered science

Just wondering....How is a course with a Pass/ Fail grade calculated?

bcpm = biology, chemistry, physics, math

these course will be calculated as your AMCAS BCPM GPA commonly referred to as the "science GPA"

this is the way the world turns, and there's nothing you can do about it.

my school gives seperate grades and credit hours for the ochem class and the lab...i'm assuming i can add the labs into the bcpm? (trying to calculate it myself to see where i am :scared: )

my school gives seperate grades and credit hours for the ochem class and the lab...i'm assuming i can add the labs into the bcpm? (trying to calculate it myself to see where i am :scared: )

is it chemistry????