1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, be sure to check out How To Get Into Dental School, our free downloadable PDF with step-by-step details for dental school applicants!
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

What is alternative list???

Discussion in 'Pre-Dental' started by rambo2006, Dec 17, 2005.

1. rambo2006

rambo2006 Be a DDS or die trying
    7+ Year Member

Dental Student
    I recieved a letter today saying that I am on alternative list for my in state school. I understand that they first send out a batch of acceptances and wait for applicants to confirm or withdraw their app. They generally have 3 weeks to do this. After the 3 weeks they send out a second batch of acceptances to fill in the untaken spots of the first batch. Does bieng on the alternative list mean I am on the second batch or am I not even on that?

thanks for your input. :)

No acceptances yet... :(

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. Hot pickle baby

Hot pickle baby Membership Revoked
    Removed

IT really doesnt mean anything. It means your not good enough to say that they want you but still good enough that they want to keep their options open should they need to fill a class.

I think its an insult, but if you get in who cares. I had a friend that got was on the alt list and got called 3 days before school started.

He quit his job and went and stayed in a hotel for 2 weeks until he could find an apartment.

It was worth it for him!

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. geckel

geckel Senior Member
    5+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    I don't know about it being an insult, that depends on how delicate you are, but I'm going to say that it is certainly not a bad thing. Basically it means that they want you in their school but can not yet accept you. They had so many really great applicants that they had to put a few on their alternative list because their class size (if everyone confirmed) would be to large. They told you that you were on the list so that you wouldn't give up on their school and accept somewhere else. You have a very good chance of being accepted so you really only need to worry about half as much as the rest of us. Good Luck

4. hockeydentist

hockeydentist 1K Member
    7+ Year Member

Unfortunately pickle boy is right. I had 5 alternate list letters last year and no acceptance. The likelyhood of getting an acceptance 3 days before school starts is slim to none.