What is an observership?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TooMuchPressure

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I asked this Physician if I can shadow and he sent me an observership form application. It basically states that once accepted you will get an observer tag and can come into the hospital whenever you want to observe over the course of 60 days. There is also a $100 fee. I'm confused...

Members don't see this ad.

Why don't you ask him the specific implications...?

Reactions: 1 user
I asked this Physician if I can shadow and he sent me an observership form application. It basically states that once accepted you will get an observer tag and can come into the hospital whenever you want to observe over the course of 60 days. There is also a $100 fee. I'm confused...
What a businessman.

Writing down for future reference....

Reactions: 4 users
Members don't see this ad :)
@md-2020 Seriously! I'm just going to open up a practice in LA and just charge neurotic premeds $1,000 a pop to shadow me!
Why not get them to do all of the scutwork while they're there anyways?

If they're anything like I was they'll be eager to do it.

Seems very self explanatory.

In truth, this sounds like a great deal. $100 to shadow anywhere in the hospital whenever you want for 60 days? There's already a line 4 blocks long of pre-meds waiting to sign up.

In truth, this sounds like a great deal. $100 to shadow anywhere in the hospital whenever you want for 60 days? There's already a line 4 blocks long of pre-meds waiting to sign up.
...is paying money to shadow actually a thing??

It's not the Physician, I believe it's the hospitals policy, which quite frankly I still don't understand. Why would the hospital make you pay money to "observe"...

It's not the Physician, I believe it's the hospitals policy, which quite frankly I still don't understand. Why would the hospital make you pay money to "observe"...
probably a private hospital. UCSD doesn't charge to shadow. but then again , neither does the private practice i shadowed at either

It's likely a "processing" fee that hospital requires. Still, a free pass (so to speak) to shadow whenever and however much you want sounds like a pre-meds dream come true for addressing shadowing requirements. They'll spend that in just one app, so I would call the fee nominal at worst.

You are paying for 1) the privilege to shadow for those who don't want to bother using their network or reaching out to area physicians 2) the luxury of having the hospital accommodate your schedule, rather than the other way around and 3) having your choice of which specialty you want to shadow

@md-2020 Seriously! I'm just going to open up a practice in LA and just charge neurotic premeds $1,000 a pop to shadow me!
I remember there was this program at this hospital that allowed undergrads to shadow doctors for $2000 a day.

It's when you stare at a ship.

Seriously though...I have never heard of anyone having to pay for this. I would find someone else to shadow.

Members don't see this ad :)
I think we just hit upon a gold mine.

That being said, doesn't seem out of this world unreasonable. Typical hospital bureaucracy stuff, not surprising

Charging pre-meds for anything is a smart and lucrative idea. At a hospital my colleagues volunteer at, volunteers are charged to volunteer there. There was an initiation fee, application fee, and ID card fee. Not to mention parking garage fee. Cost a hefty $250 to walk around in this hospital and give them free service!

Surprised at the level of sarcasm in this thread. Pre-meds are usually desperate to find shadowing opportunities, and some complain that they can't find anyone to let them do it. The $100 is nothing. I'm sure the hospital would just as soon not accommodate anyone. It's a headache. And isn't it about the altruism?

And isn't it about the altruism?

Its shadowing. Don't get me wrong, $100 for 60 days (at 8hrs/day - 480hrs; 4hrs/day = 240 hours) is a great deal and OP would be stupid not to take it. I'm just saying that its like the MCAT classes scam on a smaller scale.

They called it "observership" when I shadowed a doc/faculty at the HSC. It's more difficult to shadow there these days because some past premeds messed it up for the rest of us lol :sendoff:

I didn't pay though...weird.

You aren't paying money to shadow. You are paying money to be credentialed and for the small imposition that random observing students are. The observership fee at our hospital is $250.

Something people forget is that everything costs money. We gain nothing from having students follow us around. The physicians gain nothing, the institution gains nothing. On the flip side, someone has to sit badge them, someone has to credential them, gotta do a background check, someone has to organize them coming in, someone has to spend the time communicating with them prior to coming in etc. Is it bureaucracy at it's finest, sure. But, at large multi-billion dollar hospitals/institutes, it is reality. Every minute that a secretary, assistant, resident, attending etc. spends on that student is time lost from their 'work day'. Most of us are happy to do it. Point of fact, I've coordinated 6+ this summer alone and several have transitioned into doing research with me. But, it is extra work. Now multiply that by every office in every department in the hospital. I may be willing to work for free, but you bet your bottom dollar most others are not.

Students can find smaller offices/clinics that have less red-tape. They can find places that have funding set aside specifically for this. We just negotiated with a local major private undergrad to have an established shadowing opportunity for their students. They are covering the costs associated with it. But, the reality is, if you are looking to shadow, you are providing nothing and getting a significant service in return.

Reactions: 5 users
^^^^This. A $100 or $250 processing/credentialing/admin fee is a heck of a lot better than "NO, you may not shadow here."

I'd also add: I don't like the fee.

I think that it is an additional barrier toward medical school admissions for those coming from less privileged backgrounds. It is a balance between that and having the expectation that others will provide something for free at a cost to them. But, at least right now, the sense of entitlement seems like the bigger problem.

Reactions: 3 users
Every physician I ever spoke to about shadowing was eager to let me observe him/her. They actually tended to get very chatty and wanted to become sort of a mentor to me, which was greatly appreciated (though not really necessary or always helpful). Every physician I shadowed introduced me to their colleagues and gave me an open-invitation to come back and shadow whenever I wanted.

I'm turned off by the fee to shadow. I understand it, but I certainly didn't have $100+ to give to a hospital to allow me to meet another pre-med requirement. I went to teaching hospitals and great experiences for no money at all.

You aren't paying money to shadow. You are paying money to be credentialed and for the small imposition that random observing students are. The observership fee at our hospital is $250.
Wow. My state medical center was thankfully free, start to finish; shouldn't have taken that for granted!

hi can u plz let me know where i can get an observership done??? plz reply..