What is an Optometrist???

This forum made possible through the generous support of
SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dmg25

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey what's up everyone. No i'm not dumb, I know what an optometrist is. But I was hoping that question would get a quicker response on here.

I am a freshman at The University of Akron in Ohio. I am trying to figure out what I want to do with the rest of my life, but not having much luck. Im pretty sure it is in the health field, but I don't know if I want to be an orthopedic surgeon or an optometrist/opthamologist.

Basically, I have two questions; what should I major in for my undergrad if I want to be an optometrist, and what is the difference between an optometrist and an opthamologist????

Thanks in advance for any help.

Members don't see this ad.

Heres the deal:
In a nutshell, an optometrist is the primary eye doctor. That mean they take care of glass and contacts, but also diagnois and treat ocular disease. This can range from conjuctivites (pink eye) to glaucoma. They also remove foreign bodies from the eye (mico surgery). The newest thing they are involved in is co-mangagmenet for laser correction sugery. In OK, OD's are even doing they laser surgery, this trend should follow in the rest of the US within 7 years (my guess).

What separates OD's from ophthalmolgists (OMD) is OMD's perform surgery. This is the main difference. There are some OMD's that don't do surgery, but this is pretty rare.

Education wise, as you probably know, OMD's go to either allipathic medical school (MD) or osteopathic medical school (DO). Like any specialty, either an MD or and DO can do it. OD's go to optometric school. The length of classroom time is the same (4 years) but OMD's must do 4-5 year residance program before they can practice. OD's have the option of doing a one year residance program that can give them further education in (cornea and contact lenses, low vison rehab, pediatrics, anterior segment disease and refractive surgery, and primary care).

The main difference is OD's don't do surgery and OMD's do.

As far as what to study, you will hear many different opinions on this topic. In all honesty it does not matter as long as you have the req courses when you apply. My opinion is to study biology. This gives you the best background to fall onto when you are go to either medical of OD school. To take all the req classes to get into any kind medical school and study some other non-related major would be pretty hard (I would think). If your dream is to go into medicine, why study history. What I mean is, if you love science enough to do it as for the rest of your life, why would want to study somthing else for 4 years. If you want to study other things that is great, then you can minor in it. I'm majoring in biology and minoring chem and philosophy. I put the phiolosophy thing in there to chop up the constant science.

Hope this helps.

I couldn't put it any more eloquently than rpames ;) -- you should also check out the resources on the Assoc of Schools and Colleges of Optometry (ASCO) for more info about the career and preparation for it: http://www.opted.org/info_main.cfm . (Be wary of the prerequisites they list for specific schools, though -- check with each school specifically to confirm them.) Good luck with your decision!

Members don't see this ad :)
Just briefly:

Ophthalmology is a highly sought after surgical subspecialty. Only the finest medical students are even considered for entry into this field. It's hard to compare a field of medicine(optho) to a "health-related" field. Doctor vs. Nurse scenario.

Optometrists ARE NOT performing laser surgery in any state in the US currently. There is a history of ONE or TWO cases performed by some maverick, back woods optometrist several years ago in OK. They have no rights in any other state. However, optoms love to harp on these two cases.

Ophthalmologists are MDs. NOT OMD's. OMD is a term the optoms have coined to make the two vastly different specialties more similar in sound.

Ophthalmologists work 40 hrs/week and make >$280,000 and are respected by other medical doctors and the public. After all, these guys are surgeons, medical doctors...

Optometrists work 40 hrs/week and make about $60,000-$80,000 and carry similar respect to that of a chiropractor.

A trend that runs rampant throughout this forum as evidenced from rpames:

"Due to their inherent feeling of inadequacy and their inevitable nature to compare themselves to MEDICAL DOCTORS(opthos), optometrists attempt to mislead the public by implying that they are more involved in health care than they truly are."

In the end--they work at Wal-Mart, Target, Pearl Vision and refract people. They NEVER deal with REAL medical issues--althouth they will mislead you and imply that they do. That "microsurgery" comment made me fall out of the chair--someone stating that dinking off a corneal foreign body is microsurgery!! HA HA HA HA HA!!

If you want the respect, go somewhere other than a four year "college" that accepts the med, dental and podiatry school rejects...

If you don't want the wrath, don't mislead people. And notice, your forum is now appropriately in the "health related" fields forum.

medstud721

You convinced me, Medstud721. I now realize that I was hoodwinked into attending optometry school. I am going to quit monday morning, sign up for the MCAT, and learn to be an arrogant prick like you.

Originally posted by medstud721
... Optometrists ARE NOT performing laser surgery in any state in the US currently. There is a history of ONE or TWO cases performed by some maverick, back woods optometrist several years ago in OK. They have no rights in any other state. However, optoms love to harp on these two cases. ...
While you have the makings of an *excellent* windbag, you're lacking in the "supporting evidence" department.

According to the Oklahoma Optometric Board Practice Code, the practice of optometry is defined to include: "... the diagnosis of conditions of the human eye and correcting and relief of ocular abnormalities by means including but not limited to... laser surgery procedures..." http://www.state.ok.us/~optometry/law581_598.htm

Please check your facts more carefully. ;)

Go away troll...we don't feed your kind here...
We're too mature for that.

Income:

The median gross income per OD in 1996 was $324,000.
Self-employed Optometrists (solo practice, group practice, or partnerships) reported a combined 1996 mean net income of $102,072.
Optometrists employed by Ophthalmologists, Optometrists, HMOs, and other multidisciplinary practices reported a combined 1996 mean net income of $74,226
Optometrists employed by optical chains and franchises reported a combined 1996 mean net income of $86,506.

That was in 1996, this is a more recent fact: According to the American Optometric Association, median net income for all optometrists in private practice ranged from about $115,000 to $120,000 in 2000.

Types of Optometric Practices Available:
Optometrists in Private Practice 34%
Optical Chains / Mass Merchandisers 19%
Private Ophthalmologists 16%
Private Opticians 11%
Optical Superstores 11%
HMO's, Clinics, etc. 9%

These are a few facts in which some may be interested.

As far as the referance to ODs calling ophthalmogist OMDs. I know a lot of people that "refer" to them as such, even some MDs. Everyone with a pea as a brain knows they are not officially called that, it is just short hand. It is a lot shorter to write it that way.

Same respect at DC I don't think so. I'm not going to start a DC thing here, but give me a break. Last time I checked ODs perform procedures that are proven to work and the same procedures are utilized by MDs and DOs. ODs perscirbe medications and even teach in many medical schools. The vast majority of MD/DOs do not act the way medstud does. Most have respect for other professionals.

If you go to the ophthalmology res. board you will see how I have posted there and never seen an argument like this pop up. In fact, TomOD is involved in a forum there right now and one can see the co-managment between the two professions. Medstud's attitude is very discouraging to anyone who want to enter any field of medicine. If you believe his attitudes and enter OD, then you not respected and not a doctor, but if you go MD, then you will be a selfabsorbed a$$. What to do?

Like I have said many times before, not all feel the same as medstud, of the 18,518 members of this site there are only 2 members that come in here and start this crap. That is only 0.001%. The real world is pretty much the same. You will come across people like that but most don't feel the same. I can point to half dozen patients of my dad's that are MDs, and they are just ones I know of, I'm sure there are many more.

When I took the OAT I sat next to a guy whose father is an orthopeadic surgeon. I asked what his dad thought of him doing this and he said totally fine, the guy didn't like blood and did not want to be on call all the time. That is why he is taking this route, that is why many pick this route.

Sorry for the length, that troll just pisses me off!

First of all, I have read so many of Medcrud's **** on this forum in order to try to see if he ever makes a valid point. As I mentioned in a previous thread, after reading his and the other meanie's posts, I was almost afraid to post anything having to do with optometry. I've never heard of anyone acting the way he does!

Some questions Medcrud-- why are you so mean all the time? Are you upset about something? Do you need some love in your life? Why so angry? Are you one of those obnoxious people that are so big headed about being a Dr. that you think you're too good to be nice to waiters, sales clerks, etc.? I really feel sad for you that your life is so cruddy and boring and obviously lacks the company of a woman so you spend your time on the Optometry forum which you detest so much just to make yourself feel larger than what you are... I'm going attempt a different approach here... maybe you need some psychiatric help to inflate your confidence some so you can deal with the real world in a mature and kind manner.....OK here goes.... you ARE a good person Medcrud....love yourself.... we love you, anyway......... everyone needs love, even you Medcrud
:love:

funny post tyra!:laugh:

I think Medstud walked in on his mother and an OD when he was young so now he has some suppressed anger for all ODs.

And notice, your forum is now appropriately in the "health related" fields forum.

I just noticed this little part of his post. One would think that a "man" with such a high intellect would be able to read. This forum is under "Healthcare Professional Forums." Medstud, you really don't check your facts before you speak do you?

I feel very privileged that medstud mentioned me by name. Oh JOY! I don?t understand why he says ODs try to mislead the public, give an example. I truly don?t understand to what medstud is referring.

Thank you for all the help, but I decided to go into a different field. I am going to supply all of the cadavers for med students going through Anatomy 101.

I JUST JOINED THE MARINE CORPS TODAY!!!!

Originally posted by dmg25
Thank you for all the help, but I decided to go into a different field. I am going to supply all of the cadavers for med students going through Anatomy 101.

I JUST JOINED THE MARINE CORPS TODAY!!!!
------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hello dmg25,

You've joined the Marine Corp. Semper Fi! Still don't rule out Optometry. I enlisted in the Marine right out of high school and served 4 years as a grunt (infantryman). Had a great time in all. I went in for fun and ended up having 2 tours of combat (Panama and Desert Storm). After that, I decided I needed an "inside" job and went to college and then to OD school and have never looked back.

Good luck to you:cool:

To all others, Optometry is as good as you want it to be.....as long as your willing to work....both during school and after...the learning never stops.

Tom, u told me that OD's have some of the same problems that we Pods do. After reading this thread--I believe U!!!!

dmg25, TomOD
Semper Fi! devil dogs or soon to be a devil dog, dmg25. I served 6 years in the USMC. I had a great time as well as good experiences. I served in Desert Storm, went to Cuba, and ended up in Okinawa Japan (greatest time ever). I agree with TomOD, don't rule out this profession if you've already did research and found that this may be the career for you. Even if you join the Marines you can still attend school on a part time basis. I new an enlisted marine that became an officer after 3 years in.
No matter what profession you choose, if you enjoy what you are doing, then you will be the best professional in your field. You will always want to learn more and apply it as well. Money will then just keep on rolling in.
Good luck....