What is CASPer & Advisement Suggestions

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

md-2020

The Immaculate Catch
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Recently I have been getting questions from MCAT students & family/friend advisees on CASPer schools. I did not apply to any places that required one and simply understand it as some sort of personality assessment that gets scored/used in ways that aren't released to the applicant? And I am also under the impression that this is something people actually prep for (MCAT was more than enough test prep fun times for me...)?

Basically I've been suggesting to mid/high stats applicants to avoid the hassle of CASPer schools if they're not super interested due to the unclear expectations/additional cost/fact that no upper-tiers have adopted it yet. Is this misguided? What are learned SDN opinions on the likelihood of CASPer becoming standardized for all med schools in future cycles?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
I'm taking CASPer this Sunday. It's basically a computer based MMI. People only prep for it by taking a practice test just to be familiar with the format. The questions aren't anything a person can study for. It also isn't pass/fail, you just take it and get a score. I personally would not avoid applying to a school just because it uses CASPer. Others may have a different perspective.

I took CASPer as it was required by my state school which I would’ve happily attended had I not been admitted to a more prestigious school. Ironically they also had an mmi style interview.

The big hassle with CASPer is their technical difficulties. I had one video not play at all for one set of questions and had another video stop loading halfway.

My preparation involved two practice tests and 30 minutes of a practice test before the real thing. (Two days total of “prep”) . The questions are not overly complex ethically at all. I actually thought they were easier than all of the MMI interview stations I encountered during the cycle.

I am doubtful any high achieving student will be screened out based on a average or slightly below average CASPer acore. Moreover I am doubtful that schools utilize CASPer scores as a metric to distinguish candidates as opposed to simply eliminating red flag level low scores.

Members don't see this ad :)
Recently I have been getting questions from MCAT students & family/friend advisees on CASPer schools. I did not apply to any places that required one and simply understand it as some sort of personality assessment that gets scored/used in ways that aren't released to the applicant? And I am also under the impression that this is something people actually prep for (MCAT was more than enough test prep fun times for me...)?

Basically I've been suggesting to mid/high stats applicants to avoid the hassle of CASPer schools if they're not super interested due to the unclear expectations/additional cost/fact that no upper-tiers have adopted it yet. Is this misguided? What are learned SDN opinions on the likelihood of CASPer becoming standardized for all med schools in future cycles?

I would like to know as well as the number of schools using CASPer has skyrocketed this year.

I took CASPer as it was required by my state school which I would’ve happily attended had I not been admitted to a more prestigious school. Ironically they also had an mmi style interview.

The big hassle with CASPer is their technical difficulties. I had one video not play at all for one set of questions and had another video stop loading halfway.

My preparation involved two practice tests and 30 minutes of a practice test before the real thing. (Two days total of “prep”) . The questions are not overly complex ethically at all. I actually thought they were easier than all of the MMI interview stations I encountered during the cycle.

I am doubtful any high achieving student will be screened out based on a average or slightly below average CASPer acore. Moreover I am doubtful that schools utilize CASPer scores as a metric to distinguish candidates as opposed to simply eliminating red flag level low scores.

So if the questions are not overly complex at all and it seems that anyone can just do well with minimal practice, how can they effectively rank applicants on their performance? From the company that runs CASPer, they've said that CASPer is a way to rank a large amount of applicants, so if you rank at the bottom is that the same effect as failing?

What all is involved in signing up for the test and submitting the score? Do you do it through secondaries?

There is the cost factor. Nobody can guess how it is assessed (other than those that assess them). The applicant does not get their score. It is another hoop to jump through, but other than the cost (which is subjectively defined, but very relevant to most people), it's hard to say whether or not it is definitively worth it or not.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Last edited:
Does any one know how the CASper is scored?

From what I've read, each answer is scored by a person on a scale of 9 and then you are ranked to other applicants so you are competing directly with each other.

Casper is an interview screening tool in the style of an MMI interview. The goal is to screen out those applicants who would be rejected in the interview phase, and select for students who will do well in the interview phase. You are presented with a video scenario or a text prompt and are required to answer 3 questions in 5 minutes. This is repeated ~10 times. Each prompt of 3 questions is scored together on a 9 point scale similar to a likert scale. Scorers only score that specific question and score many applicants answers to that same prompt (IE a scorer will score 50 answers to the same question. A different scorer will score every prompt for an applicant. Scorers have no information about an applicant other than their answer.) How your answers to each individual prompt is combined is not disclosed, and applicants do not know their score. The score is sent directly to each school that the applicant selected, and how each schools use that information is up to that school. You are explicitly not scored on english skills, grammar, or typos/spelling mistakes. You are also not scored on answer length.

The idea is that if the school has an MMI style interview, they have limited resources and cannot interview every one of their thousands of applicants. Traditionally, they will invite the applicants with the top scores in other domains to interview (GPA/MCAT/ECs). However, clearly there will be some applicants with high scores who cannot and will not do well on an interview, and some with lower scores in other domains who will excell on an interview. The theory is that this tool will help to eliminate those who would fail the interview anyway, saving the applicant the time and money of going to interview, and give the school the chance to interview someone who might otherwise not been able to but might have a chance at acceptance based on their interview performance. If someone has reasonable problem solving and interview skills, then the Casper is an advantage to them.

So if the questions are not overly complex at all and it seems that anyone can just do well with minimal practice, how can they effectively rank applicants on their performance? From the company that runs CASPer, they've said that CASPer is a way to rank a large amount of applicants, so if you rank at the bottom is that the same effect as failing?

It's the same as how an MMI is scored. For each station (prompt) you get a score. At the end they combine the scores in each station (prompt) somehow and get an overall score. Your score is then used relative to other applicants in combination with other factors to make a final rank list. It should not and does not replace the gold standard of an in-person interview. Scores are based on problem solving and responding to ethical dilemmas. Obviously some answers will be better than others but its not a question of knowledge memorization beyond ethical principles.

What all is involved in signing up for the test and submitting the score? Do you do it through secondaries?

You sign up with casper directly, like the MCAT, and choose which schools receive your score, like the MCAT, and your score is sent automatically. You do not see the score.

Each prompt of 3 questions is scored together on a likert-like scale. How those scores for each prompt is combined and how each school uses it is not disclosed.

I don't thin it's clear whether casper is useful as a standardized test yet. AAMC has to lots of tests (hopefully) to figure out the pros and cons and it should just take over its administration perhaps

I don't thin it's clear whether casper is useful as a standardized test yet. AAMC has to lots of tests (hopefully) to figure out the pros and cons and it should just take over its administration perhaps
Try telling that to the Canadian med schools!!! I think McGill medicine has added it as well for the first time this year (I think the McGil dentistry program has used it before). I think CASPer may be here to stay whatever its pros and cons!

Try telling that to the Canadian med schools!!! I think McGill medicine has added it as well for the first time this year (I think the McGil dentistry program has used it before). I think CASPer may be here to stay whatever its pros and cons!
Oh and now in Australia. My friend is applying to a Master's in Teaching "Down Under" and is doing their CASPer today!

Dr. Souk - thanks for this link. Have been reading up about CASPer as some of the schools I am applying to do it. Uggghh, as if we don't have enough hurdles to jump over!!!

I took CASPer last year and just realized out of all the programs that required CASPer that I applied to, i was rejected from the pre II. I must have bombed lol