You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
What is considered a reasonable call frequency for inpatient (as an attending)
Started by NeedAdvicelol
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
Total comp seems maybe a little low, but not unreasonable for academic. That call sounds extremely reasonable assuming it's home call.Title, appreciate your opinions. Been practicing for a short while post-residency, looking to switch jobs. I do have to agree with some others on here that the job market is quite bad, at least around where I am, compared to the ease by which some older attendings found their jobs. Had to look quite a bit farther than my expected radius to find anything inpatient (the outpatient openings also sucked but are more prevalent).
I did find an inpatient academic gig that expected weekend coverage (both days) around 6x a year and maybe 15-20 overnight phone coverage yearly (just one night at a time, however). Census around 10 or so, average acuity and turnover. If you add the incentive pay for all the call you do, the total comp is around 300k. Can't opt out of call. Is this reasonable or am I getting lowballed? Job is in New England, but quite a bit inland from major metro areas.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
That’s on par for academics in the NE. The range for academic base salary here is ~$230-$275k.Total comp seems maybe a little low, but not unreasonable for academic.
Yea base is actually around 260k but with random stuff they sprinkle in here and there makes it closer to 300. It’s in the middle of nowhere tho so I think that’s the premium for the slightly above avg rates.
They do have residents but they’re shared with like 3 other rotating sites so there are days when you’re on your own.
They do have residents but they’re shared with like 3 other rotating sites so there are days when you’re on your own.
Right, but they said total comp was $300k. If that were salary that would be great. Total comp and that is just fine. If it weren’t academic that total comp for a rural area would be straight up bad.That’s on par for academics in the NE. The range for academic base salary here is ~$230-$275k.
It’s typical for the NE though. Rural and non-academic jobs don’t pay that much more out here and a lot don’t offer incentive pay for call - I’ve spent the last 3 months looking for jobs in the NE.Right, but they said total comp was $300k. If that were salary that would be great. Total comp and that is just fine. If it weren’t academic that total comp for a rural area would be straight up bad.
But it is rural academic and the OP has residents. I think the call amount and the pay is good. It's even inpatient, which would highly sweeten the whole thing for me.
I’m not disagreeing. I’m just saying that if this wasn’t academic the total comp would be low especially for a rural position depending on just how rural it actually is. Call looks very reasonable though.It’s typical for the NE though. Rural and non-academic jobs don’t pay that much more out here and a lot don’t offer incentive pay for call - I’ve spent the last 3 months looking for jobs in the NE.
Yea... thats what i've been saying. I only heard of this one through a connection; it wasn't posted. If this was 5-10 years ago you'd have multiple similar offers in a much more desirable location, even in the NE.I’ve spent the last 3 months looking for jobs in the NE.
Even 3 years ago when I was looking for my first attending job the market out here was better. I ultimately took a job in a semi-rural city back in my home state in the Midwest doing public psychiatry and making >$140k than what is offered out here.Yea... thats what i've been saying. I only heard of this one through a connection; it wasn't posted. If this was 5-10 years ago you'd have multiple similar offers in a much more desirable location, even in the NE.
Last edited:
I think regionally based on where you are talking and the likely low workload - you're being given a fair offer 300k total comp academic inpt. Low pay for low work - don't make you sweat too hard to have a fair starter job. Pretty kush. Call is a bit of a drag but I'd ask the actual psychs working there how bad it is really. Might be pretty chill especially with resident buffer.
Would love to get some input on this inpatient attending gig (non-academic, no supervising residents or NPs, urban area):
-average census: 10
-weeknight call: once a week
-weekend call: about 8 weekends
-average census: 10
-weeknight call: once a week
-weekend call: about 8 weekends
Last edited:
Without further details seems solid. How often are you getting called for home call and how many beds are you covering? If it's maybe once a night for patient complaints seems solid. If it's every 2 hours to place admit orders that sucks.Would love to get some input on this inpatient attending gig (non-academic, no supervising residents or NPs, urban area):
-average census: 10
-weeknight call: once a week, home call only
-weekend call: about 8 weekends per year
-salary: 320k plus potential for additional bonuses
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Similar threads
- Replies
- 19
- Views
- 2K
- Replies
- 11
- Views
- 705