• SDN Site Updates

Hey everyone! The site will be down for approximately 2 hours on Thursday, August 5th for site updates.

• How To ACE Your Medical School Interview

In this webinar hosted by SDN with experts from BeMo Academic Consulting, you will learn a simple five-step process to help you translate your interview invitation into an acceptance.

Jack Daniel

In Memory of Riley Jane
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Oct 12, 2005
Status (Visible)
You've probably found this info out already, since you posted a few days ago, but the stipend is about $1200 before taxes, and I think it's just during the academic year.

smrtmom1

I GOT IN!!!!!
10+ Year Member
May 29, 2006
Texas
www.myspace.com
Status (Visible)
  1. Other Health Professions Student
You've probably found this info out already, since you posted a few days ago, but the stipend is about $1200 before taxes, and I think it's just during the academic year.

Well, if your program is year round, like mine (PA program)...that is not a bad deal! Better then trying to make measly FA payments stretch over 6 months...;)

About the Ads

Erica_Moyer

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Dec 20, 2004
Status (Visible)
I'm a third year student and on the program. You actually get the stipend ALL year (12 months baby) and its about $1140 right now. Plus you get what they call "other reasonable expenses" paid once a year. I think its about $2000 additional, it changes with re to your year in school. That's in addition to your month stipends of course.

cali-ob

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Nov 27, 2006
back where I belong!
Status (Visible)
  1. Attending Physician
I'm a third year student and on the program. You actually get the stipend ALL year (12 months baby) and its about $1140 right now. Plus you get what they call "other reasonable expenses" paid once a year. I think its about $2000 additional, it changes with re to your year in school. That's in addition to your month stipends of course.

I'm a fourth year (well, graduated now) and I was getting $1182 this fiscal year. They seem to go up every year by about $30 or so dollars in October. I wonder why you're getting less? Maybe it depends on the year you get it? That's interesting, I assumed we all got the same.
Also, you get the stipend one last time on May 31 of your fourth year, so just when you are really broke, and aren't going to be getting paid from residency for about 2 months, you get another stipend. You may acutally end up with less money over all than your classmates on FA depending on your school's budget, but you don't have to worry about making on lump sum last 6 months because you get it monthly.

alina_s

15+ Year Member
Sep 25, 2001
Anchorage
Status (Visible)
  1. Attending Physician
Cali-OB- they gave you a stipend for the month you graduated? I graduated mid-May and I think they gave a partial stipend for that month. It hurt, since I didn't get paid again until mid-July. The stipend, though, was actually a little better than what my med school had calculated as monthly living allowance.

smrtmom1

I GOT IN!!!!!
10+ Year Member
May 29, 2006
Texas
www.myspace.com
Status (Visible)
  1. Other Health Professions Student
Here's hoping I get the scholarship! Boy I sure could use that $1100-whatever...it would be better then nothing. I have a quick question, though.

Since they don't fund until November, if I do get it...and my academic year started in June...will they back date my stipends that far? Or will they only do it from the current semester (August)?

Also, the re-embursments for other costs,....when does that get done..once a year or as they arrise? And does that come the first time in November also?

I am sorry for all the questions, especially since I don't know if I got it yet...

About the Ads
This thread is more than 14 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.