What is considered "a small stipend?"

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kylek044

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
For the NHSC, they say that they offer a "small stipend." What exactly does this mean in terms of numbers?

Members don't see this ad.

You've probably found this info out already, since you posted a few days ago, but the stipend is about $1200 before taxes, and I think it's just during the academic year.

You've probably found this info out already, since you posted a few days ago, but the stipend is about $1200 before taxes, and I think it's just during the academic year.

Well, if your program is year round, like mine (PA program)...that is not a bad deal! Better then trying to make measly FA payments stretch over 6 months...;)

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm a third year student and on the program. You actually get the stipend ALL year (12 months baby) and its about $1140 right now. Plus you get what they call "other reasonable expenses" paid once a year. I think its about $2000 additional, it changes with re to your year in school. That's in addition to your month stipends of course.

I'm a third year student and on the program. You actually get the stipend ALL year (12 months baby) and its about $1140 right now. Plus you get what they call "other reasonable expenses" paid once a year. I think its about $2000 additional, it changes with re to your year in school. That's in addition to your month stipends of course.

I'm a fourth year (well, graduated now) and I was getting $1182 this fiscal year. They seem to go up every year by about $30 or so dollars in October. I wonder why you're getting less? Maybe it depends on the year you get it? That's interesting, I assumed we all got the same.
Also, you get the stipend one last time on May 31 of your fourth year, so just when you are really broke, and aren't going to be getting paid from residency for about 2 months, you get another stipend. You may acutally end up with less money over all than your classmates on FA depending on your school's budget, but you don't have to worry about making on lump sum last 6 months because you get it monthly.

Cali-OB- they gave you a stipend for the month you graduated? I graduated mid-May and I think they gave a partial stipend for that month. It hurt, since I didn't get paid again until mid-July. The stipend, though, was actually a little better than what my med school had calculated as monthly living allowance.

Here's hoping I get the scholarship! Boy I sure could use that $1100-whatever...it would be better then nothing. I have a quick question, though.

Since they don't fund until November, if I do get it...and my academic year started in June...will they back date my stipends that far? Or will they only do it from the current semester (August)?

Also, the re-embursments for other costs,....when does that get done..once a year or as they arrise? And does that come the first time in November also?

I am sorry for all the questions, especially since I don't know if I got it yet...