What is considered a sub-par GPA?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

studentdoctor08

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Like what GPA cutoff would you suggest that if you have below that GPA to not even apply

And also, what is considered a competitive SCIENCE GPA, since I know that science GPAs tend to be lower than the overall GPA

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
My A&P prof claims a student of his got in with a 3.0 + amazing MCATs. That's the lowest I've heard of though, and likely an unusual case.

I think that it depends on the school (MD, DO, Caribbean, school averages...), as well as your MCAT score, whether or not you're a traditional or nontraditional student... That being said, I think below a 3.0, you would probably be screened by most MD schools before the interview (unless there are some pretty extraordinary circumstances).

Members don't see this ad :)
Anything less than a 4.0

just kidding. Kinda.

I'd say you're becoming testy around a 3.5 and below.

Last edited:
Like everyone else has said it depends on the situation.

I personally wouldn't want to apply to a MD program if I had less than a 3.5... but some people do it and even get in.

I also wouldn't apply to a DO program with less tan a 3.0

But it is extremely dependent upon the individual situation. Best thing to do is check with your pre-med advisor.

https://www.aamc.org/download/157450/data/table24-mcatgpagridall2008-10.pdf.pdf

high 30s MCAT and a 3.1 cGPA are accepted at a rate close to the average.

<3.5 is suboptimal but certainly not the death knell some make it out to be.

edit: a more concrete example - someone who majors in engineering, cGPA 2.9, works for several years in the field, decides to do medicine, does 4.0 post-bac, writes 35 MCAT. If all other aspects of the application are in place (glowing letters from work would be key here) and applicant applies smart, this person should be accepted to med school despite 3.15 cGPA. 22 yr old applicant with same numbers and no significant work/clinical experience, odds are much lower.

Last edited:
Anything less than a 3.6-3.7.

Definition of "sub-par" -- performance below a standard or average level of performance.

Par (for med school admission) -- 3.66/32. Anything below a 3.66/32 is, by definition, sub-par.

If you mean at what point is your app unacceptable...well, that depends on far too many factors to count. That being said, I'd say below a 3.4 GPA puts you pretty much out of the running without some extraordinary qualities, MCAT score, LORs, and such elsewhere. I say 3.4 largely b/c that is the avg for an applicant and <50% of applicants are admitted. In other words, if you're below a 3.4 GPA, you are definitely in the "generally not accepted" stack (GPA-wise, anyway). The same could be said of a <28 MCAT score. (Of course, people do occasionally climb their ways out of the "TO BE REJECTED" bin, but it's relatively uncommon and requires that someone w/ better stats showed him/herself to be a weaker applicant overall).

Definition of "sub-par" -- performance below a standard or average level of performance.

Par (for med school admission) -- 3.66/32. Anything below a 3.66/32 is, by definition, sub-par.

If you mean at what point is your app unacceptable...well, that depends on far too many factors to count. That being said, I'd say below a 3.4 GPA puts you pretty much out of the running without some extraordinary qualities, MCAT score, LORs, and such elsewhere. I say 3.4 largely b/c that is the avg for an applicant and <50% of applicants are admitted. In other words, if you're below a 3.4 GPA, you are definitely in the "generally not accepted" stack (GPA-wise, anyway). The same could be said of a <28 MCAT score. (Of course, people do occasionally climb their ways out of the "TO BE REJECTED" bin, but it's relatively uncommon and requires that someone w/ better stats showed him/herself to be a weaker applicant overall).

This. But that doesn't mean much without the context of the rest of your app as others mentioned, and it shouldn't stop you from applying

This. But that doesn't mean much without the context of the rest of your app as others mentioned, and it shouldn't stop you from applying

Agreed. I know so many people who have gotten in with 3.6's and less than 32 MCAT scores. Its not the only thing that is considered. Make sure you have a solid app other than numbers though.

This doesn't even make sense.

Sure it does... it's just not very precise. A "par" GPA for med school admission IS above (>) 3.5. As of the 2010 cycle, it's 3.67 (went up from 3.66 -- which has been the annual tick, since it's done that pretty consistently the last few yrs. For next cycle it should be 3.68-3.69).

Members don't see this ad :)
Sure it does... it's just not very precise. A "par" GPA for med school admission IS above (>) 3.5. As of the 2010 cycle, it's 3.67 (went up from 3.66 -- which has been the annual tick, since it's done that pretty consistently the last few yrs. For next cycle it should be 3.68-3.69).

I think gettheleadout was simply pointing out that Mahliah had the '<' backwards :) (the question was 'what GPA is sub-par' not 'what is par').

QUOTE]

Aren't those numbers slightly inflated due to an applicant being accepted mutliple times? The higher the numbers the more likely an applicant is to be accepted multiple times, leading to a nice little inflation. So in reality the numbers are slightly lower, although obviously not by a large margin. Or am I thinking about this wrong.

Personally for me I really wanted to hit the 3.5 cGPA. I am going to fall just short of that in the upper 3.4s due to (most likely) not pulling an A in orgo 2. I feel in the 3.5's is subpar but still a good position based on the rest of the application. The 3.4 range seems a good ways away from the average. I haven't applied yet so I really have no idea.

QUOTE]

Aren't those numbers slightly inflated due to an applicant being accepted mutliple times? The higher the numbers the more likely an applicant is to be accepted multiple times, leading to a nice little inflation. So in reality the numbers are slightly lower, although obviously not by a large margin. Or am I thinking about this wrong.

Personally for me I really wanted to hit the 3.5 cGPA. I am going to fall just short of that in the upper 3.4s due to (most likely) not pulling an A in orgo 2. I feel in the 3.5's is subpar but still a good position based on the rest of the application. The 3.4 range seems a good ways away from the average. I haven't applied yet so I really have no idea.

Sorry, but no. Those are MATRICULANT numbers, not acceptance numbers. The acceptance numbers are what are reported per school. Matriculant numbers are what are used overall.

* < (insert your GPA right here)

see wat I did thar?

In my opinion, <3.6 would be considered to be sub-par. however, high mcat scores would compensate for a low gpa (35+) or good grades from upper-level science courses taken after graduation.

In my opinion, <3.6 would be considered to be sub-par. however, high mcat scores would compensate for a low gpa (10+) or good grades from upper-level science courses taken after graduation.

Fixed

Its a joke. lol. Obviously a 10 is a ridiculously low MCAT score.

In my opinion, a GPA of less than 3.5 is sub par. But applicants do get in with lower GPAs, it's just harder for them.

This thread is...

33332264.JPG

what about exactly a 3.5?

Yes, a 3.5 is subpar. It's going to require other areas to compensate for it.

It does not "depend." A 3.5 is <3.67 (the current average). It is subpar. Now whether or not one can get accepted w/ a 3.5 is a different story, but it is below the threshold for a strong GPA for med school applications. (That threshold occurs between 3.6 & 3.7).

what about exactly a 3.5?

It's not horrible, but it is sub-par. There are many things that can help compensate a little for that GPA such as really tough major/course load/university/athletics involvement/significant time spent working, but no matter what it will never be a 3.8, even if you attended Princeton and worked 30 hours per week. Plenty of people get into medical school with a 3.5, but usually they have above average MCAT scores and other positives.

This...

is...

the...

thread that ne-ver ends!
Yes it goes on and on my friends!
Somebody start-ed posting it
Not knowing what it was,
And we continue elaborating on it
For-ev-er just be-cause...

This...

is...

the...

thread that ne-ver ends!
Yes it goes on and on my friends!
Somebody start-ed posting it
Not knowing what it was,
And we continue elaborating on it
For-ev-er just be-cause...

BadHorse, stop. No. I want you to go away. Go away.

And don't slam that...door.

:laugh:

As far as the subject at hand goes, I agree with apumic here. Technically anything below a 3.66/32 is sub-par. But I think what you're really asking is what is relatively still acceptable and from what I've gathered <3.5/<28 is going to be very difficult unless you have some other spectacular things going for you. Isn't that grey area between 3.5-3.66/28-32 a wonderful place to be?:laugh:

Traditionally, a subpar gpa would be less than 3.5 to adcoms.

Last edited:
Look on mdapps. Plenty of people have been accepted with 3.5's

Look on mdapps. Plenty of people have been accepted with 3.5's
This doesn't change the fact that it's sub-par. People have been accepted with near-2.0's, but that doesn't mean one should waste money applying with that GPA (those accepted probably did SMP's and got 4.0's, etc...)

Woah, just agreeing that the thread was going nowhere. There are only so many ways you can say that a 3.67 is the average. What's with the hostility?

He probably had a traumatizing childhood experience watching Lamb Chop's Play Along.

Interesting side note: The Silence of the Lambs was originally about a guy who killed and (ironically) ate Lamb Chop because it wouldn't stop singing that f***ing song. The parallels are obvious when you're looking for them:

"You still wake up sometimes, don't you, Clarice? You wake up in the dark and hear the singing of the lambs."

:laugh::laugh:
Oh man, it's been too long since I saw it, didn't get the reference. Well played... even matches the horse metaphor.
How did you not get the reference when you were the one that put the song?! lol.

Oh man I'm going to have that stuck in my head all night.

How did you not get the reference when you were the one that put the song?! lol.

Oh man I'm going to have that stuck in my head all night.

I'm a pre-school teacher: the song, disembodied, haunts me without a trace of its origins.

I'm a pre-school teacher: the song, disembodied, haunts me without a trace of its origins.
Oh, haha! It seriously is stuck in my head now.

I have to say, even though I've seen it over and over, every time I read the "I meant Gandhi" under your avatar, I laugh.

Oh, haha! It seriously is stuck in my head now.

I have to say, even though I've seen it over and over, every time I read the "I meant Gandhi" under your avatar, I laugh.

:)

My point was it isn't impossible to get accepted with a 3.5, I thought that was clear.

There's really too many factors to give a universal GPA cutoff. Like others have mentioned, the traditional value is a 3.5. It's a reasonable ballpark figure, but there are a lot of factors that affect whether it will actually work for you. For one thing, a lot depends on your undergrad institution. A 3.5 at an Ivy school and community college are vastly different. Another factor is your state of residence. For example, I'm from Ohio and am hoping a 3.5 will be able to get me an acceptance. In California, in all likelihood, I would be forced to do some post-bacc work or consider a career change.

PS..This is my first post on SDN! Been stalking for a couple of weeks and finally decided to join. :cool: