What is considered early?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

goodie

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey!

I hear alot of talk about how applying early greatly effects your chances of admission. I noticed on the OptomCAS website that applications opened on July 15th. im not applying until next cycle but am wondering up to when is considered early?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Generally, early is july 15 through august, maybe the first part of sept.

"Normal" (i.e., when the majority of apps come in) is mid sept. through october.

November/december are getting kinda late. Lots of people have already interviewed and been accepted.

Anything later than january is late. This is usually when schools take a second look at the apps in their "undecided" pile to see fall grades, etc... and offer interviews to them. Yes, many schools will still accept applications in the spring, but classes are getting pretty full so you better have really good stats if you apply in march.

Generally, early is july 15 through august, maybe the first part of sept.

"Normal" (i.e., when the majority of apps come in) is mid sept. through october.

November/december are getting kinda late. Lots of people have already interviewed and been accepted.

Anything later than january is late. This is usually when schools take a second look at the apps in their "undecided" pile to see fall grades, etc... and offer interviews to them. Yes, many schools will still accept applications in the spring, but classes are getting pretty full so you better have really good stats if you apply in march.

i just graduated and was planning on taking a year off to upgrade some of my pre-req marks because they are under the C cutoff. But im wondering if it be a good idea to apply this cycle before the end of August probably, and somehow indicate that im in the process of doing them or is it just better to wait fro the next cycle; when they will all complete?

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey guys, I am currently applying through OptomCAS.. i have completed every section but am just waiting for my letters of reference. I heard somewhere that you can submit the application even before optomCAS has received the LOR's, is this true? one of my profs said they won't write my letter until mid september.. does it make sense to hand in my application now or is it too early? Will they not process my app/offer an interview if the letter hasnt come in yet? Any help would be great! Thanks! :D

they will process your app. and send it to schools without the lor's. Then they send out lor's as they come in.

It really depends on your stats...
Even if you were the first one to send in your application on July 15th, it won't matter if you're grades/OAT/experiences are not up to the minimum...so while applying early is good (ie. If you're in your final year, you'll be less stressed by doing apps early) it won't guarantee admission, almost always, schools will take someone with better stats over when their application was sent in~

My app could be considered late, I guess, since I sent everything in end of December. But I still got interviews and acceptances~ So you're not doomed if you don't get it in early, however, remember, you're competition for interview spots increases, as those seats start getting taken...

I sent in my transcript request forms around July 20ish and OptomCAS still hasn't received them. Do you think I can submit my app even before the transcripts are received?

Last edited:
It really depends on your stats...
Even if you were the first one to send in your application on July 15th, it won't matter if you're grades/OAT/experiences are not up to the minimum...so while applying early is good (ie. If you're in your final year, you'll be less stressed by doing apps early) it won't guarantee admission, almost always, schools will take someone with better stats over when their application was sent in~

My app could be considered late, I guess, since I sent everything in end of December. But I still got interviews and acceptances~ So you're not doomed if you don't get it in early, however, remember, you're competition for interview spots increases, as those seats start getting taken...

Awesome! That helps a lot. I consider my stats to be decently competitive - 3.7 GPA and 350AA, but I am still fearful of having the early birds beat me to it!! Haha
So would it be possible that I will be offered an interview if the school hasnt received all of my LOR's yet, or is that not possible??

the early bird may get the worm but the second mouse always gets the cheese!

Hehe:p

Awesome! That helps a lot. I consider my stats to be decently competitive - 3.7 GPA and 350AA, but I am still fearful of having the early birds beat me to it!! Haha
So would it be possible that I will be offered an interview if the school hasnt received all of my LOR's yet, or is that not possible??

I would aim to make my application package as complete as possible so you'll have a better impression on the school, that's not to say interviews won't be given out without LOR's....but if the school wants 3 and you've produced only 1, chances are, they won't have much to go on with just 1 letter....I had the same issue, I chose to wait to send in my entire application....

I would aim to make my application package as complete as possible so you'll have a better impression on the school, that's not to say interviews won't be given out without LOR's....but if the school wants 3 and you've produced only 1, chances are, they won't have much to go on with just 1 letter....I had the same issue, I chose to wait to send in my entire application....

Great! Thanks for the advice :). I will for sure have two LOR's but i wont have my academic ones in until mid sept/october, so i'll most likely apply around then.