Dismiss Notice
Check out the new Application Assistant, where you can calculate your LizzyM score, see how you rank compared to other applicants, and see a list of schools where similar students were accepted.

What is considered IS bias?

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical Allopathic [ MD ]' started by turayza, 05.19.14.

1. SDN is made possible through sponsorships and our volunteers. Learn about SDN's nonprofit mission.
  1. turayza

turayza 2+ Year Member

MDApps:
    Medical Student
    At what point is a school considered to have IS bias?
    For example, U Washington is obviously IS biased (pretty much no OOS/out of WWAMI accepted) whereas Feinberg has more OOS students than IS.
    What about a school like Stony Brook, which offered approx. 30% interviews to OOS? Is that considered IS bias and not recommended for an OOS student to apply?

Sorry if this has been discussed, I couldn't find it from searching.

2. SDN Members don't see this ad. About the ads.
  3. lmn

lmn 2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    It depends on your definition. Everything about applying is based on the individual and what lines they draw in terms of risk/reward. You may see 30/180 for OOS applicants and say great, others may want to see at least 100/180 to not consider it IS biased.

4. Goro

Goro 5+ Year Member

Non-Student
    Verified
    Faculty
    When I look at MSAR, and see <15% of accepted students from OOS, I consider that an IS bias. Keep in mind that a number of schools make only tale students from neighboring states ( U Wa being an example; U IA another, but I don't have thier exact numbers). But for a school with >20% OOAS, AND if your stats are greater than their median, then I think that those schools are worth a shot.

mrh125, turayza and Zelda840 like this.
  5. turayza

turayza 2+ Year Member

MDApps:
    Medical Student

Thanks Goro! MSAR doesn't list accepted, only interviewed and matriculating--do you use interview numbers to gauge? Or is there somewhere that accepted stats are listed that I just can't find...

6. Goro

Goro 5+ Year Member

Non-Student
    Verified
    Faculty
    Mea culpa...it is indeed instate/OOS of matriculants. I use matriculants as my guide. For example, Rowan interview 169 and 116 IS/OOS people, but matriculated 42/22. Thus, big advantage to the home team.

turayza likes this.
  7. ThisCouldBeYou

ThisCouldBeYou

Pre-Medical
    Keep in mind also that in-state or OOS refers to public schools, for the most part - Baylor is an exception - not private. Baylor is a private school, but accepts a large percentage of TX applicants. Feinberg is private. Many public schools, particularly in NC, TX, and CA have an in-state bias as well as many western schools like NM, UT, and WWAMI.

terp720 and turayza like this.

About the ads