What is considered IS bias?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

turayza

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
At what point is a school considered to have IS bias?
For example, U Washington is obviously IS biased (pretty much no OOS/out of WWAMI accepted) whereas Feinberg has more OOS students than IS.
What about a school like Stony Brook, which offered approx. 30% interviews to OOS? Is that considered IS bias and not recommended for an OOS student to apply?

Sorry if this has been discussed, I couldn't find it from searching.

Members don't see this ad.

It depends on your definition. Everything about applying is based on the individual and what lines they draw in terms of risk/reward. You may see 30/180 for OOS applicants and say great, others may want to see at least 100/180 to not consider it IS biased.

When I look at MSAR, and see <15% of accepted students from OOS, I consider that an IS bias. Keep in mind that a number of schools make only tale students from neighboring states ( U Wa being an example; U IA another, but I don't have thier exact numbers). But for a school with >20% OOAS, AND if your stats are greater than their median, then I think that those schools are worth a shot.

At what point is a school considered to have IS bias?
For example, U Washington is obviously IS biased (pretty much no OOS/out of WWAMI accepted) whereas Feinberg has more OOS students than IS.
What about a school like Stony Brook, which offered approx. 30% interviews to OOS? Is that considered IS bias and not recommended for an OOS student to apply?

Sorry if this has been discussed, I couldn't find it from searching.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
When I look at MSAR, and see <15% of accepted students from OOS, I consider that an IS bias. Keep in mind that a number of schools make only tale students from neighboring states ( U Wa being an example; U IA another, but I don't have thier exact numbers). But for a school with >20% OOAS, AND if your stats are greater than their median, then I think that those schools are worth a shot.

Thanks Goro! MSAR doesn't list accepted, only interviewed and matriculating--do you use interview numbers to gauge? Or is there somewhere that accepted stats are listed that I just can't find...

Mea culpa...it is indeed instate/OOS of matriculants. I use matriculants as my guide. For example, Rowan interview 169 and 116 IS/OOS people, but matriculated 42/22. Thus, big advantage to the home team.

Thanks Goro! MSAR doesn't list accepted, only interviewed and matriculating--do you use interview numbers to gauge? Or is there somewhere that accepted stats are listed that I just can't find...

Reactions: 1 user
Keep in mind also that in-state or OOS refers to public schools, for the most part - Baylor is an exception - not private. Baylor is a private school, but accepts a large percentage of TX applicants. Feinberg is private. Many public schools, particularly in NC, TX, and CA have an in-state bias as well as many western schools like NM, UT, and WWAMI.

Reactions: 1 users