what is d-school like?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DAT_MAN

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Are your classes small? Can you ask questions during class? Do you take tests only? Quizzes? Do you guys have presentations? Do teachers drop your lowest test grade? Do you work by yourself in lab or does an instructor watch over you? Do you guys enjoy d-school or would you do something else if you hadn't invested x amount of time and money in d-school?

Members don't see this ad.

That is the strangest series of questions I have ever seen.

Are your classes small? Can you ask questions during class? Do you take tests only? Quizzes? Do you guys have presentations? Do teachers drop your lowest test grade? Do you work by yourself in lab or does an instructor watch over you? Do you guys enjoy d-school or would you do something else if you hadn't invested x amount of time and money in d-school?

Are your classes small?

depends on the school....my school has small classes

Can you ask questions during class?

off course....it's not like they tie your mouth during class

Do you take tests only? Quizzes?

both ....is a quizz not a form of a test???

Do you guys have presentations?

sure...why not

Do teachers drop your lowest test grade?

depends on the school. at my school, there's no such thing though

Do you work by yourself in lab or does an instructor watch over you?

both.....it's not like an instructor can ignore other students and just focuses on you....

Do you guys enjoy d-school or would you do something else if you hadn't invested x amount of time and money in d-school?

it is stressfull but i love it and i live my school. i would not do it any other way.

Members don't see this ad :)
Are your classes small?

We have every class together with all 86 of us. When we get to clinic, we'll be divided into groups. You get to know your class VERY well.

Can you ask questions during class?

I should hope so! You're paying for the education, so make the most of it :)

Do you take tests only? Quizzes?

Mostly we just take exams, but two of our classes have quizzes. Some also have grades for attendance/projects/papers and once you start lab work you get graded on that

Lots of them in gross lab, some in other classses

Do teachers drop your lowest test grade?

One of ours is dropping the lowest quiz grade, and that's it. However, some have the first exam mean a little less so you can figure out how they test you before it really matters.

At the beginning of gross lab, there were several professors walking around, but as we got the hang of it, we became more independent and try to teach each other. In preclin lab, there's just a bunch of profs and you find one to ask a question or get signed off

Do you guys enjoy d-school or would you do something else if you hadn't invested x amount of time and money in d-school?

Absolutely!

I know schools like NYU have big classes, so I wonder if the teaching style for them is a little different? I seen on their video where students ask questions via their computer. I wasn't sure if all schools were like that. I would hate to have to yell from the back. My friend said when I transfer to a university, you don't give presentations like you do at a small community college. He said there is way too many people. He said the tests are much easier too because they're all multiple choice. I really hate it when I'm in lab and I have to sit on my azz for 30 mins to ask the teacher a question. I guess I can live with it though. Thanks for answering my questions, you know what it was like being a pre-dent.

This is for Columbia

1. not really, 76 (actually 78 since a few people had to repeat the 1st year), but Columbia is a medium sized school. Not too big, not too small.

2. Yes, not normally during large med/dental lectures for dental only classes, feel free to ask questions. The faculty is very nice and helpful.

3. Tests...pretty much. There are some projects, but most classes only have tests and practicals.

4. Quizzes...we have it weekly for dental anatomy & occlusion, but for most classes, no.

5. Presentations...Not currently, but i don't know if we will need to do presentations or something like that during 3rd or 4th years.

6. drop lowest test grade? quizzes, yes, major exams, no (although they let you retake it if you fail).

7. We work mostly by ourselves, but there are multiple instructurs around in the lab that we can ask questions or help whenever we need it. They just won't watch over your shoulder every given minute.

8. I enjoy it in the sense that I know I want to be a dentist and dental school is the only way to get to my goal, but obviously I don't enjoy the workload of dental school ( i doubt anyone does). I do like my classmates though, and you just have to know how to balance work and play when necessary.

Pain, suffering, torture and humiliation other than that its GREATTTTTTTTTT:thumbdown:

Are your classes small?
No, at SC we're 144Can you ask questions during class?
Well, we have no classes, its freakin PBL
Do you take tests only?
Ridiculous tests that we do not take seriouslyQuizzes? Same as above
Yes we do, during exams Do teachers drop your lowest test grade?
I don't think so...we really don't care
Yup, they're there all the timeDo you guys enjoy d-school or would you do something else if you hadn't invested x amount of time and money in d-school?
I definitely would've done something else. Real State or Loan Officer or the least, Stockbrocker.

[/COLOR]Do you guys enjoy d-school or would you do something else if you hadn't invested x amount of time and money in d-school?
I definitely would've done something else. Real State or Loan Officer or the least, Stockbrocker.

If you're serious, it doesn't match your earlier responses - you sound like you're coasting along just fine! If you're not, then I'm an idiot...:rolleyes: