What is height of contour

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DrTacoElf

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I'm reading a dental anatomy book and it mentions that the height of contour for the labial side of the maxillary central incisor is in the cervical 1/3 and .5mm. What exactly is height of contour (does it mean simply the highest point on a particular surface?)

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Go drink a beer.

Why would you study this stuff NOW???

You get a WHOLE CLASS in this crap next year.

Don't worry, I'm sure you'll learn it before you actually work on a tooth, whether it be wax or a real one.

jmill0 said:
Go drink a beer.

Why would you study this stuff NOW???

You get a WHOLE CLASS in this crap next year.

Don't worry, I'm sure you'll learn it before you actually work on a tooth, whether it be wax or a real one.

how pathetic and discouraging is that reply! if you dont know an answer, dont discourage someone else from knowing it...
anyways, to dr.tacoelf, the height of contour is pretty much the line which is encircling a tooth at its greatest bulge with reference to a predetermined path of insertion for a removable partial denture. so, it is basically, the most convex point on the tooth;
hope that helps..

DrTacoElf said:
Hi,

I'm reading a dental anatomy book and it mentions that the height of contour for the labial side of the maxillary central incisor is in the cervical 1/3 and .5mm. What exactly is height of contour (does it mean simply the highest point on a particular surface?)

Thanks!

Height of Contour is on the labial side = facial side, which means the surface visible to us when you smile. Now, from up to down of the tooth it is divided into 3 sections: Cervical (bottom portion of the tooth), Middle, Incisal (top portion of the tooth). So, then the Height of Contour is noticable because it is a prominant bulge on the cervical third, which then tapers down to the incisal edge.

simpledoc said:
how pathetic and discouraging is that reply! if you dont know an answer, dont discourage someone else from knowing it...
anyways, to dr.tacoelf, the height of contour is pretty much the line which is encircling a tooth at its greatest bulge with reference to a predetermined path of insertion for a removable partial denture. so, it is basically, the most convex point on the tooth;
hope that helps..
bravo - it is pathetic of people to reply like that - good answer :D

Height of contour is just what it says it is. When viewing the contour of a given tooth, the most extreme point of contour (or the "tallest" point of contour) is the height of contour.

Essentially, as you said, the highest point on a particular surface.

simpledoc said:
hope that helps..

It's not that I don't know the answer, it's that I don't know a single dentist that can tell me they wish they started studying textbooks before they even walked in the door of a dental school to attend. If it makes you happy to get "one up" on your fellow students for the first two weeks of school, go ahead. The professors will still treat you like you don't know anything anyways.... just my experience....... Didn't mean to offend you Elf.....