What is IC?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ArkansasRanger

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
What are these new letters? i.e., NREMT-P, IC

I used to be an NREMT-P, but I don't guess IC was around back then. I'm seeing it behind a lot of medics' names.

Members don't see this ad.

What are these new letters? i.e., NREMT-P, IC

I used to be an NREMT-P, but I don't guess IC was around back then. I'm seeing it behind a lot of medics' names.

Instructor/Coordinator.

I have seen it many times as well, and have asked, and that is the response I get. I guess EMS is so concerned about vanity that we even have to have a post-nominal addition for being a teacher. I think it is plain silly and a little over the top.

If you are a paramedic, say your are a paramedic. If you are an EMT, say you are an EMT. You do not see nursing professors with "Jane Smith, RN-IC" or professors of medicine "Janet Robertson, MD-Professor".

Instructor/Coordinator.

I have seen it many times as well, and have asked, and that is the response I get. I guess EMS is so concerned about vanity that we even have to have a post-nominal addition for being a teacher. I think it is plain silly and a little over the top.

If you are a paramedic, say your are a paramedic. If you are an EMT, say you are an EMT. You do not see nursing professors with "Jane Smith, RN-IC" or professors of medicine "Janet Robertson, MD-Professor".

Yeah, I agree and now realize I should've gathered IC was Instructor/Coordinator because I've seen a lot of medics use stuff like ACLS-I, PALS-I, PHTLS-I after their name. :rolleyes:

Members don't see this ad :)
Smoke em if you got em I say. :laugh: Many other fields are just as bad about initials. When I teach, I will put my relevant specialty certifications after my name at the beginning of my keynote presentation; however, some nurses go crazy putting ALCS, TNCC, and every other weekend warrior credential after their name.

Yeah, I agree and now realize I should've gathered IC was Instructor/Coordinator because I've seen a lot of medics use stuff like ACLS-I, PALS-I, PHTLS-I after their name. :rolleyes:

Yeah, alphabet soup like that just tells you who's stuck on him/herself.

The whole EMT-B/EMT-I/EMT-P thing is bad enough... I think it's a good thing the registry is moving away from that (not to mention the EMT-I(85) vs. EMT-I(99) business that never made sense to me). To some people, we're all paramedics; to others, we're all EMT's; and to others, we're all ambulance drivers. :rolleyes:

I just talked to a 4th year at my school who matched into EM. Good guy, seemed pretty smart, but about 5 minutes of our conversation was me trying to explain what paramedics do, what EMT-Basic means, and all of that. I'm not saying it's the most important thing for him to know, but I'd have thought it would come up in conversation during one of his many ER rotations...

As it is, we don't make it easy for people to understand what we do and what the differences are. Putting I/C or whatever else behind your name just makes it that much more confusing.

Its all just silly. Only people who feel insecure need that many letters after their name. Keep it simple.

Last edited:
Just wait until you see an EMT-B who adds "CPR" after his name. :)

I once saw a guy from a volunteer service who had his state EVOC patch sewn on one shoulder. I swear that wherever he stood, he made sure that patch was in your line of sight. I was going to tease him about it, but thought better of it--if that's what it takes to get people to volunteer, we should hand out more patches! :D

I once saw a guy from a volunteer service who had his state EVOC patch sewn on one shoulder. I swear that wherever he stood, he made sure that patch was in your line of sight. I was going to tease him about it, but thought better of it--if that's what it takes to get people to volunteer, we should hand out more patches! :D

:thumbup: