what is IMMUNO, MICRO, GENETICS

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
K

KK82

i already took histology and loved it. so i thought i would take another histology class this semester and it is nothing like my other one. i may change but what are these other classes like?

i am taking my 3rd bichem and cell bio class which requires 2 semesters of biochem, so is it like biochem or more like gen bio?

also Micropathology? i saw this in the catalog, not sure what it is

Members don't see this ad.

Hey there....
Anyone majoring in Bio should definitely take Microbiology, Genetics and molecular biology...and dont forget Developmental Biology of course..... and oh.....biochem......

but seriously these are all great courses....I looooooooved micro and it really helped on the mcats........ I really think any1 going premed should take as many of these courses as possible...
However,...every school is different and so is every student....so if you dont like working in the lab, Im not sure what to suggest.....In Micro we had lots of lab (which I personally enjoyed very much)....My best suggestion is to not take any bio course that you think is too advanced....(biochem, pharmocology etc)....until you are ready

KK82 said:
I hate histology although bc i don't like the microscope labs and stuff.

do immuno and microbio have labs usually and if they do are the labs like histology's? what exactly do you cover in immuno and microbio.

Also, why does cell bio, a class i am staying in for USC req, require chemistry. what will i see in cell bio?

Of course microbiology (my major by the way) require microscopes. That's what you do, you look at microorganisms. However, I thought the labs were fun. The lab of my first general micro class was sefinitely the most fun lab I had in college, and that class was very useful for the MCAT.

Immunology is all about the immune system. Antibodies and antigens. That was less useful MCAT wise, but I still thought it was interesting.

Genetics is useful too, and very interesting I thought. I didn't think it was as hard as some other classes though, like cell bio.

Cell bio (which I also took just for USC and they better like it ;) ) requires chemsitry because you talk about cell signaling a lot.

If I had to vote for one, I would pick the micro class but then genetics didn't involve any lab (well my class didn't).

KK82 said:
i like stuff like ochem

Sicko.

KK82 said:
Hi guys, I know i should know this stuff, but i don't know exactly what such classes entail. can someone pleasse shed some light...

I am in bio chem, histology and cell bio.

I hate histology although bc i don't like the microscope labs and stuff. i know i should learn to love it, but if i have the option to change this class i would. However, b4 i change i want to know what i am getting myself into.

do immuno and microbio have labs usually and if they do are the labs like histology's? what exactly do you cover in immuno and microbio. i like stuff like ochem and bichem and normal bio, so what would you guys suggest i take? Also, why does cell bio, a class i am staying in for USC req, require chemistry. what will i see in cell bio?

Thanks guys!! hope you guys are doing well with secodnaries!!!!

I don't know about your university, but at mine, of the 3 classes listed, only one has a required lab and that is microbiology.

If you like biochem and molecular bio, then you'll like micro and genetics. They have quite a few portions of biochem/molecular bio related stuff in both of those courses. Immunology also has quite a few molecular aspects.

Cell bio requires chemistry because there are many concepts from genchem, primarily acid/base concepts and delta g concepts from biochem that are also involved in cell bio. Cell bio is a watered down biochem class. Mostly the same topics covered but from different standpoints.

Oh and if you hate microscopic things, you'll hate microbiology. I'd definitely take cell bio and genetics if possible.

Like I said, cell bio is a watered down biochem.