What is my best route to travel?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

andyfromseattle

Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hi so let me give you my situation and I'd reallly appreciate you pointing me in the right direction.

I was an exercise science student at Western Washington University and my grades were always average at best (I never went to class-- whoops), and then I got a semi-serious back injury that forced me to leave school. I completed my studies by taking a bunch of community college classes and university classes online and I ended up with a BA in General Studies from WWU. My GPA was 2.95 from WWU and somewhere in the 3.5 range for all my community college classes (somewhere around 40-45 of my 180 credits were from cc). So somewhere around a 3.1-3.2 if everything is counted. I think the only Bio or chem class I took was an Anatomy class that I got a C+ in. Of course it sucks that my major is General Studies!

Anyway- my back problems have healed enough for me to do something with my life and with all these crazy medical problems I decided I want to be a doctor.

I'm going to assume that taking the pre-requisites at a community college, getting a 4.0 in them, studying hard for the MCAT and doing reasonably well wouldn't be enough considering my other info. Let me know if this idea is wrong, cause that'd be fantastic.

So what is it that I likely have to do? Shell out 30k for a formal program? Id do it if I had to. Thanks!
 
andyfromseattle said:
Hi so let me give you my situation and I'd reallly appreciate you pointing me in the right direction.

I was an exercise science student at Western Washington University and my grades were always average at best (I never went to class-- whoops), and then I got a semi-serious back injury that forced me to leave school. I completed my studies by taking a bunch of community college classes and university classes online and I ended up with a BA in General Studies from WWU. My GPA was 2.95 from WWU and somewhere in the 3.5 range for all my community college classes (somewhere around 40-45 of my 180 credits were from cc). So somewhere around a 3.1-3.2 if everything is counted. I think the only Bio or chem class I took was an Anatomy class that I got a C+ in. Of course it sucks that my major is General Studies!

Anyway- my back problems have healed enough for me to do something with my life and with all these crazy medical problems I decided I want to be a doctor.

I'm going to assume that taking the pre-requisites at a community college, getting a 4.0 in them, studying hard for the MCAT and doing reasonably well wouldn't be enough considering my other info. Let me know if this idea is wrong, cause that'd be fantastic.

So what is it that I likely have to do? Shell out 30k for a formal program? Id do it if I had to. Thanks!

I would look into going through a formal post bacc program. Dont bother going back to CC. I did that and it was a mistake and now I am at formal post bacc at a local university where I live. Dont worry so much about your past grades, but i would suggest you busting your hump to get the best grades from now on end. Look into post baccs, that is what I would do.
 
Well, don't go to a CC!! I know, it's tempting cuz it's close and cheap; but what you really want is anything from a 4-year institution. 30k places are only either at elite post-bacc programs like Goucher or at special masters programs like BU.
Much cheaper options exist.

I have no clue about programs in Washington, but I'd bet the University of Washington is a good place to start. All you need is cheap science prereqs at any 4-year university - they should have something.

So... shoot for a formal program somewhere that's reasonably priced. If it's a certificate program or something similar, that's good since you're eligible for more financial aid. If you don't get into a formal program, no biggie - just go the informal route at a 4-year school, and get A's.