What is my next step?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

tiedram

Reaction score
first time posting here... I need help deciding what my next steps are before applying to medical schools (DO/MD).

I got my BA in 2019, I finished most of the pre-reqs for medical school during undergrad except for Ochem which I am finishing now. My cumulative GPA from undergrad is around 3.4 and science GPA is around 3.2... I have clinical experience such as scribing and shadowing doctors. I have minimal community service experience.

I have not taken my MCAT yet, I was registered to take it in April but due to COVID19 cancellations, I am now scheduled to take it in July. I do not plan on applying to medical schools this year. Considering my GPA and an MCAT of around 510 (hypothetical), I would like to get some advice/suggestions as to what to do next.

I am uncertain if I should do a post bacc, master's, or change my career path... Thank you in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

I would say an MCAT of 510 would guaranteed you an interview somewhere at a DO school, 3.4 is low for MD but possible if you apply early and cast a very wide net. I suggest you take the MCAT first and then decide from there, everything is hypothetical without an MCAT.

Reactions: 1 user
first time posting here... I need help deciding what my next steps are before applying to medical schools (DO/MD).

I got my BA in 2019, I finished most of the pre-reqs for medical school during undergrad except for Ochem which I am finishing now. My cumulative GPA from undergrad is around 3.4 and science GPA is around 3.2... I have clinical experience such as scribing and shadowing doctors. I have minimal community service experience.

I have not taken my MCAT yet, I was registered to take it in April but due to COVID19 cancellations, I am now scheduled to take it in July. I do not plan on applying to medical schools this year. Considering my GPA and an MCAT of around 510 (hypothetical), I would like to get some advice/suggestions as to what to do next.

I am uncertain if I should do a post bacc, master's, or change my career path... Thank you in advance!
You would "hypothetically" be good for DO.

Members don't see this ad :)
GPAs are too for MD but ok for DO... MCAT of 502+ should net you an acceptance to a DO school. You are going to be a doctor.

• Hmm
  • Okay...
Reactions: 3 users
What state are you from? How many hours of scribing and shadowing?

Why be a doctor? Are you ready for a long slog to become one (both applying and training) or would you rather do something else? Answer this for yourself. No right answers here.

Get in some community service, and read this:
Med School Rx: Getting In, Getting Through, and Getting On with Doctoring Original Edition by Walter Hartwig
ISBN-13: 978-1607140627

ISBN-10: 1607140624

Reactions: 1 users

I really hate to burst your bubble but wait and see how you perform on the MCAT. Is that a score from practice exams or is that what you want? Aiming for a high MCAT with a 3.2 science GPA is going to take some leg work on your end to make sure you know the material. Getting a great score on the MCAT is difficult but doable, I don't mean to discourage you. You will get slammed in med school if you don't have that foundation down.

Focus on the MCAT. Scribing and shadowing doctors are the same thing. You need to get your hands dirty and actually work with patients.

MD pretty much out regardless of MCAT - even if you score well on MCAT, GPA says "I don't work that hard on a consistent basis".

Get over a 504 and get into the best-established DO school you can, bc 2024 and beyond Match is going to be a wild one.

MD pretty much out regardless of MCAT - even if you score well on MCAT, GPA says "I don't work that hard on a consistent basis".

Get over a 504 and get into the best-established DO school you can, bc 2024 and beyond Match is going to be a wild one.
Agreed, for MD you may want to consider a SMP.