What is negative about the DO field?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Talus

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Currently I'm a DPM and will be applying to med schools. Everybody has their complaints about their fields, and podiatry is littered with many. But I didn't see these problems as an entering student, mostly because I wasn't in the field yet. So what are the complaints from the DOs? (I can imagine one- possibleplaying field is not level with MDs. Is this still the case as many years ago?)

What are other observations? Lack of acceptance on insurance plans? Lack of acceptance on hospital staffing?

Talus

Members don't see this ad.

There is absolutely no "lack of acceptance on insurance plans". The main problems I see come from poor DO residencies in small hospitals (if you choose to go AOA)...and the AOA's unwillingness to OK ACGME internship years for those participating in Allopathic residencies. That is a huge stumbling block and I point the finger at the AOA.
Otherwise the education is the same and the opportunities are virtually the same.

Well everyone is afraid to say it. But the big dark secret is that DOs are like paying less for the same education in most instances. :p

Members don't see this ad :)
Oh yeah, I was just kidding. One is older than the other, but boy has DO caught up into allopathic ranks at the speed of light. :D

A few of my personal observations about the DO field:
1. The lack of subspecialty training
2. lack of high quality DO residency programs
3. Most programs are in small towns and small hospitals
4. many DO's have a big chip on their shoulder
5. Many times, DO's are their own worst enemy

I heard that about half of D.O.'s do allopathic residencies... which expands their options...

3. Most programs are in small towns and small hospitals

I'd argue that one... Thinking of the schools I've interviewed at...

COMP has affil's with Loma Linda, Arrowhead, and some UC hospitals.

NOVA has the Broward County system, Miami Children's Hosp, and others..

PCOM probally has more affil's than most allopathic institutes...

(and these are just off the top of my head) Check out the OPTI's for each school off the AOA website.

5. Many times, DO's are their own worst enemy
Umm... that makes no sense. That statement is applicable to almost everyone in almost every situation (let alone professions).

One small bite is as Mr. Happy Clown Guy put it well "AOA's unwillingness to OK ACGME internship years for those participating in Allopathic residencies." Then again, COMLEX is (big jump) being accepted [starting to] with USMLE -- which opens up allopathic residencies.

The "same playing field" thought.. well.. that sorta went out with the hola-hoop. I think the new "quackary" is chiropractic or nurse practioners or PA's... or whatever else interferes with billing. :eek:

-A

The only negative issue I've found to be true, in general, is that the most competive allopathic residencies and the most competitive hospitals tend to shun accepting DO's into their programs. I was told by a former radiology program director that by accepting a DO tends to taint the "reputation" of the program, even if the candidate has comparable credentials to fellow american allopathic students. Fair or not, it's real and it's out there. However, I feel, this is only at the top, and with those programs and hospitals led by "old school" mentality. Good luck.

Originally posted by mikeaparker:
•I heard that about half of D.O.'s do allopathic residencies... which expands their options...•

Last year, ~1400 out of ~2500 DO grads signed on for ACGME (MD) post-grad training.