What is PGY-1 year like in a categorical program?

Started by jcmnancy
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

jcmnancy

JCMNancy
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
All the programs I've researched give plenty of information on the rotation breakdown starting at PGY-2, but what makes up the first year in a categorical rehab residency? How does it differ from doing a transitional year or prelim year?
 
I matched advanced, but to my knowledge the categorical programs are very similar to an IM prelim year. There can be subtle differences like increased PM&R exposure, but for the most part it's like a medicine prelim year. Please correct me, anyone, if I'm wrong.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Categorical programs have wide variety of PGY1 set ups -- some are almost all IM some have a mix of IM and surgery. The program I matched to has 6 months of IM/surgery + 5 months of specialties related to PM&R + 1 month of PM&R.

The only categorical I can remember that is truly unique was LSU which told us you could basically make your own PGY1 schedule with as much or as little medicine/surgery/specialties you wanted (with the restriction of only 1 month of PM&R).

Its something ask about on interview day. Everywhere is open about what they offer and what to expect each year. At least that's what I experienced.
 
Last edited:
Depends on the program. At UK it's 4 months med, 4 months surgery, 2 months neuro, peds clinic and a PM&R consult month.
 
At Wayne State: Radiology, Ortho, Rheum, 4 months IM, ICU, ER, Trauma, 2 electives. PGY-1s also attend 3 hours of PM&R lectures each week.