What is proper etiquette post-interview and for declining an acceptance offer?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

rollyr

Reaction score
I was wondering if there's any proper etiquette on what we should do post-interview when we receive our acceptance to an optometry school. I know there are specific steps we'll have to follow to secure our seat in the class, but what if it's a back-up school that I won't be attending? Do we still let schools know that we're declining the offer or do we just not reply to the admissions offer?

My interview experience with them was actually great and very welcoming, which makes me feel like I should still personally reach out to the faculty who interviewed me. But I'm just afraid it might be awkward to say I'm turning down the school, so I was wondering if it's ever common to still reach out to the school with some follow-up messages after the interview/being accepted even if we're not committed to attending the school.

Members don't see this ad.

Let them know you’re declining so they can go through the rest of their potential applicants and/or waitlists. Email works just fine

Reactions: 1 user
I would agree. I think it would come off very unprofessional to not respond/decline the offer. It would help expedite someone else’s acceptance.

Reactions: 1 user