What is the average pay for Intern ?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

InternDoc

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
does anyone know ? especially for KY or FL ? I heard FL paid somewhere in $20 (Walgreens)...not sure if it's true

Members don't see this ad.

I made $14.25 as a P3, $19.50 as a P4, and $40.50 as a grad intern

Members don't see this ad :)
Rather not say, but it's just slightly above average for my area.

Target pays their pharm techs MORE than Walgreens. :eek: I got 9.75 per hour from Walgreens and 10.25 per hour from Target. Haven't started working at Target yet, but they have already told me my pay. I guess my pay is still lower that most people on here b/c I am still consider a tech and not an intern since school hasn't started yet. Also I am still not certifed! but I guess there is NO NEED to do that anymore since I am already in pharmacy school. :laugh:

1) how much does target usually pay their interns???

2) if you were a tech at target than become an intern will they increase your pay???

3) anyone here work for target as a tech? how much did they start you guys out with?

thanks!

I made $14.25 as a P3, $19.50 as a P4, and $40.50 as a grad intern

grad intern get the same pay as a pharmacist??? :eek: where do you work at?

Target pays their pharm techs MORE than Walgreens. :eek: I got 9.75 per hour from Walgreens and 10.25 per hour from Target. Haven't started working at Target yet, but they have already told me my pay. I guess my pay is still lower that most people on here b/c I am still consider a tech and not an intern since school hasn't started yet. Also I am still not certifed! but I guess there is NO NEED to do that anymore since I am already in pharmacy school. :laugh:

1) how much does target usually pay their interns???

2) if you were a tech at target than become an intern will they increase your pay???

3) anyone here work for target as a tech? how much did they start you guys out with?

thanks!

I saw your post in the off-topic thread :)
I started out as 10.25 too. I've been there 2 years now, and am making 10.87. I am not certified, and don't plan on becoming certified. I'll just wait until I can be an intern in NY state.
Don't know how much they pay their interns, I would assume more!

I saw your post in the off-topic thread :)
I started out as 10.25 too. I've been there 2 years now, and am making 10.87. I am not certified, and don't plan on becoming certified. I'll just wait until I can be an intern in NY state.
Don't know how much they pay their interns, I would assume more!

WHAT?? you been there for 2 years and they only give you a 60 cent raise the entire time???? :eek::eek::eek:

I asked them about the intern pay and the manager say she couldn't tell me. I really HOPE its not b/c she wants to put me at the SAME pay rate even as an intern!!!! :(:(:(

I will let you know once I am an intern if they increase my pay and you keep me updated as well. :)

I guess the main point of me working there isn't the pay, its more for the future pharmacist position. With the surplus already hitting pretty hard, I will hate to have NO job when I graduate. If Target gives me a job when I graduate I will be happy enough. LOL...

Is anyone here from AZ? I am a CPhT who has worked for CVS for 3 years, I am a PS1-first year intern, does anyone know what the average pay would be?

As a P2 I'm at $17, sadly I don't get my P3 increase until I actually start P3, even though I've successfully passed my P2 courses. I understand I'm not technically a P3 yet so I'm not too bitter. It's about what I was paid last year as an intern for the CVS summer internship.

does anyone know ? especially for KY or FL ? I heard FL paid somewhere in $20 (Walgreens)...not sure if it's true
Do you mean KS for Kansas not KY??? Well, if you think of the new KY, $20 is a bargain. :D

Members don't see this ad :)
I know a P3 intern who is making somewhere around 25.00/hr at K-Mart. Technically, I guess he's classified as a P4 since he's in a 3 year Pharm School. I suspect that amount is well above average?

Intern pay in San Diego is around $25/hr, then grad intern is $30/hr (2/3 pharmacist pay)

Thanks everyone for your posts! Does anyone have any suggestions on how to negotiate an intern pay rate, even during these economic difficulties?
Like I said before, I have been working for CVS for 3 years and have only had one pay increase (5%-annual cost of living increase) since I've been employed with them. I never fought for an increase because I knew that my goal was to become a pharmacist and not a career technician. So now that I have begun pharmacy school, and am able to change my status to an intern and eligible for a pay increase, I'm still finding that they want to try and "low ball" me as they did when I was a technician.
Any thoughts on what I should do?
Is there anyone from the phoenix area that has dealt with this same situation? If so, what were your strategies to ensure you received the desired monetary supplementation that you felt was an equivalent representation of your skills and self-worth?

Same here, and apparently we interns max out at $14.50. What the ****?

I agree, I can't believe there are people making 20+ dollars an hour as interns. Must be a family pharmacy they are working for. No way CVS, Walgreens, Target, Rite Aid or any chain will ever pay more than 13 to 14 dollars per hour.

I also think if you were a techinican first and than become a intern, they are going to try their best to keep you at the same pay. :(

No way CVS, Walgreens, Target, Rite Aid or any chain will ever pay more than 13 to 14 dollars per hour.

:(

Yes way. This is all relative to the company and the store's location. In the west coast, retail techs can start out with 13 or 14 dollars per hour and those with experience can make up to 16, 17 or 18 dollars per hour. Interns get around the same; depending on location, year in school, and their history with the company.

I met someone at a pharmacy school interview and he said with an honest face that he is making $23/hour as senior tech at walgreens in Wisconsin. I hope I did not depress him when I told him that P4 interns in Columbus, OH do not even make that much money! (in retail, I don't know about hospitals)

Here is a link from USA Today stating Santa Fe pays $9.50/hour as minimum wage.
http://www.usatoday.com/news/nation/2006-05-09-santa-fe-wages_x.htm

And according to this wikipedia article (i know it's wikipedia and not always right...) San Francisco has minimum wage of $9.79/hour, which is more money than I make as a retail tech after 2 years and certification (in Columbus, OH)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_U.S._state_minimum_wages