What is the best animal job...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

noreally_imfine

New Member
7+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Okay, I know the title of this thread might sound a bit silly since all of you are current vet students or already graduated as a veterinarian but what I meant was what do you think the best animal job would be for me? I had no idea where to post this kind of question and wanted to ask it somewhere where others would understand my love for animals.

I'm 26 and I've just realized over the past year that animals is my biggest passion in life. The turning point was when my cat of 11 years had a mass and I found out it was cancer. Just a lot had changed in my mind and my heart making me extremely sensitive to animals. I've always loved animals but the situation brought all this to light. Before that, I was very much wrestling with finding the ideal career for me. I place a lot of emphasis on a career because to me, personally, it is my way of identifying Who I am. I have a bachelor of arts in psychology but I've decided that field isn't for me (nor would I want to be an animal trainer or pet therapist).

I was very much recently thinking of becoming a veterinarian but kept reading articles online that veterinarians posted. One was about his/her top 3 things that they hated about being a vet. One was animal abuse and another was knowing they could treat an animal but had no control over the overall decision of what happened to that animals health because of the owners final decision. I know every single job out there has its pros and cons but the cons always make me very hesitant. I'm not sure if everyone was put on this earth to serve some kind of specific purpose but I truly feel like I was put here to help out the animals. I have a special kind of love for animals that not many seem to understand. I have depression and anxiety and I feel like one of the only things worth living for are my cats. I would never kill myself because I have my cats and I wouldnt leave them. I know, sounds crazy. But I'm only telling you all this to explain that I would do anything for animals. I really want to save animals and the only careers I can think of that really fulfill that would be: Animal Welfare Lawyer, Vet Tech, Veterinarian and Animal Control Officer. Two are very low paying jobs while the other two require a lot of schooling and you come out with a lot of debt. Debt isn't my issue. I don't think I ever want kids so I'm not worried about taking on a huge debt load. I just don't know how to deal with the cons of each job. I don't know which job would be most suitable for me. I was just wondering if any of you on here could help me out? Just.. any kind of response, really. I'm not great at math and science but its because I never really bothered to learn them I just got by in school but I've been slowly learning math and trying to overcome my fear of that. As far as being a lawyer goes well, I'm terrible at debating and I'm not sure if I could ever see myself being a lawyer. But, I know I HAVE to have a job helping out the animals. People have suggested that I do volunteer work on the side and get a job that doesn't involve animals but I really cannot see myself doing anything else.
 
Most jobs involving animal care are not going to be very high paying jobs. But there are more jobs than what you listed that you could look into:
Zookeeper
Groomer
kennel worker
animal trainer

If you're set on a job involving animals, you really shouldn't rule things out based on low pay, because you're unlikely to find something that pays really well, especially without extra schooling
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I just found a really good reality tv show, the name is "The incredible Dr Pol". After watching it, you may make decision to be a vet. good luck
 
I'm probably not very qualified to answer this, not being a vet student yet and all, but I couldn't help reply because some of your statements resonated with me. But there's my disclaimer, so take it however you want.

If math and science aren't really your thing, then I think becoming a vet isn't a good option. I don't think a veterinary career is smart to plunge into if you're not completely sure. However, a vet tech is a different story. You can work side by side along a veterinarian, and you can get that degree in two years. I know someone who completed her degree online, so she was able to work while earning a degree. If you're really thinking about becoming a vet, but aren't sure, maybe try becoming a vet tech first. And then, after seeing everything a veterinarian does and working beside them and talking to them, you can still try to apply for vet school. The few vet techs I know generally like their careers.

Another option I think might resonate with you is wildlife rehabilitation. You could help injured animals on their journey into hopefully being released back into the wild. But with every animal career it seems like, you have to be mentally tough, because not everything is a happy ending. And the salary is extremely low. I don't think you should base your job on the salary, because I believe in the live to work, not work to live mentality, but it would help if you had a partner who also had a job to help with finances, or you could just live very simply and frugally. If you're just supporting yourself and not a family, that makes it easier too.

And I know you said you wanted a job with animals, not just volunteering, but you may find some joy volunteering at a local shelter, and even possibly getting a job at that shelter. While you are figuring everything out, it's something fulfilling to do in the meantime. I love working with shelter animals. It's stressful, but I feel it's immensely rewarding, and it's a highlight of my day.

I understand the frustrating/sometimes scary feeling of knowing working with animals is your passion but having trouble finding a career that will support you and be what you love to do. Not a lot of things in my life have felt very stable or sure or clear, but every single time I work with an animal, nothing in my life has been clearer. It's something I'm good at, it's something I have a passion for, and it's something I truly care about. I suggest you try different things out, and don't be afraid to try something different if it's not really resonating with you. Just spending some more time around animals might clear your head. If you know for sure that you need to be in a job working with animals, which it sounds like you do, I say go for it.
 
There's a lot of good advice here (but seriously, Dr. Pol is not someone you should look at for an example of good veterinary practice).

Ultimately, the only one who can choose the best career for you is yourself. I can understand that you love animals and want to pursue a career solely in that, but know that even if you don't get a job in the animal world, you can still volunteer your time to rescue organizations or raising puppies for people with disabilities. You might want to explore that avenue if vet med/tech doesn't work out.