What is the best college plan for prospective pre-med students

Parakeet

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am currently a high school junior hoping to pursue a career in medicine. I am thinking of applying to Harvard, Yale, Princeton, Stanford and then some of the BS/MD combined program colleges.

I hear that the hardest thing about following through with a medical career is getting into med school after pre-med. I hear that MIT, JHU, and many other top notch schools have very little grade inflation with in turn reduces your chances of getting into many med schools.

Is it a good thing then to apply to not so prestigious schools if they guarantee a spot for med-school?

Im thinking of applying to HYPS and if I can't get in to those, hoping for UCSD (it offers a combined BS/MD program).

Is UCSD a good alternative for pre-med if HYPS are excluded? I live in SD, so it would be very convenient for me.

Also, does UCSD allow students to apply to other schools for MD while still keeping UCSD as a backup?

For those that got into HYPS pre-med, any tips?

Thanks a lot guys! :)

Members don't see this ad.

Hey! First off, welcome to the forums. Second, I think a large amount of people on these boards will tell you that combined degrees are a good idea only if you are COMPLETELY set in stone about wanting to go to medical school. If you have any doubt, they probably aren't the best for you.

Since it seems like you are very intelligent from the schools you are applying to, I'm sure you will be fine with applying to medical schools after undergrad (if you keep up your hard work).

Personally, I think just going the traditional route is pretty nice because it allows you to change your career decision if you change your mind. Pretty much everyone I know from freshman year who was pre-med is not even a biology major any more. If I were you, I would go to whichever school you enjoy the most for undergrad. Don't go somewhere less prestigious where you might feel like you could have done better, simply to do a combined degree. You might end up not even wanting to become a doctor by the end of it.

I am currently a high school junior hoping to pursue a career in medicine. I am thinking of applying to Harvard, Yale, Princeton, Stanford and then some of the BS/MD combined program colleges.

I hear that the hardest thing about following through with a medical career is getting into med school after pre-med. I hear that MIT, JHU, and many other top notch schools have very little grade inflation with in turn reduces your chances of getting into many med schools.

Is it a good thing then to apply to not so prestigious schools if they guarantee a spot for med-school?

Im thinking of applying to HYPS and if I can't get in to those, hoping for UCSD (it offers a combined BS/MD program).

Is UCSD a good alternative for pre-med if HYPS are excluded? I live in SD, so it would be very convenient for me.

Also, does UCSD allow students to apply to other schools for MD while still keeping UCSD as a backup?

For those that got into HYPS pre-med, any tips?

Thanks a lot guys! :)

I dont really understand your first question. You should try to go to the best school that you can, while also taking into consideration financial aid issues. If money isnt an issue, then apply to schools you are competitive for and go where you feel like you fit in the best. Your undergraduate school essentialy does not matter. If you do well at wherever you go you will have a competitive app for med shcool. Thats the bottom line.

I'm also from San Diego (and my sister goes to UCSD). UCSD is a great school and you will get a fine education. If you can manage to do well in your studies, you will have no trouble getting in somewhere.

I dont really understand your 3rd question either. If you go to UCSD as a general undergrad student, you are free to apply to whatever med schools you want. You have no attachment to UCSD and you dont even have to apply to their med school if you dont want to. If you go through their BS/MD program there would be no reason to even apply to other schools b/c you have already been accepted to one of the best medical schools in the country. If you are concerned that you might want to apply to other schools later, then don't bother entering the BS/MD program. Thats one of the problems with entering those programs. You may think you would like to stay in that area for the next 8 years, but things change and you may wind up changing your mind. I have a friend who was in the BS/MD program at USC and decided to drop out and apply via regular application b/c she couldnt stand USC or LA. As far as whether or not UCSD will let you apply to other schools while you are technically already committed to UCSD...i highly doubt it. It doesnt make any sense.

I have a friend who is in the BS/MD program at UCSD and she has enjoyed it. Shell be starting in the med school next fall.

Members don't see this ad :)
Do you think that I can get into the UCSD BS/MD program with these stats:

Thanks in advance!

Stats:

SAT 2320 (800M/770CR/750W)
SATII Math: 800 Chem: 800 Bio:800

PSAT: 227 NMS Finalist

APs (all A's and 5's)
Chem
Calc BC (first sem: B, second sem: A)
Physics B
Physics C
Bio
World Hist
US Hist
Eng Lang
Eng Lit
Comp Sci
Psych

School Percentage: Top 1%
Competitive HS
WGPA 10-12: 4.83

Competitions:

Science Olympiad (Various awards at regional and state levels)
Qualified for National Chem Olympiad
Science Fair (Various awards at regional and state levels)
Model UN (Various Awards)
Academic Team (Various Awards at regional, state and national levels)
Brain Bee 1st regional, national qualifier
Qualified for National Bio Olympiad
Tennis (various awards) 9,10,11,1

EC's/Summer:
Tutoring 9, 10, 11, 12
Started a club, president 9-12
Initiated a program that gathers resources for curing TB in India
Volunteer @ UCSD Medical Center 10,11,12
Internship at medical research company 11
Worked with hospitals in India: Internship/Hands On Experience 9,11
Worked as Web Designer w/private clients 10,11,12

Thanks for your rapid responses!

RySerr21,

Regarding my 3rd question:

What I meant to say was, "Does UCSD BS/MD program allow students to consider other medical schools for MD after pre-med?"

I'm not sure the standards for SATs anymore sense it has changed, but i'm guess you did really well on it based on the rest of your brief profile that you shared. I am by no means a college admissions councelor, but you appear to be pretty competitive. I do know that those programs are EXTREMELY competitive so dont be surprised if you receive rejections. My friends that is now at UCSD applied to as many as she could afford and she got in to like two of them.....she was at the top of her class, i'm sure great SAT, star athlete, etc.

As i mentioned in the previous post, its probably unlikely they will let you apply outside of your program. I do not know for sure though. If you have doubts of whether or not you want to go to UCSD for undergrad AND med school, dont go through the program.

Does it help any if I internship at UCSD or volunteer at their medical center?

You have great stats, Parakeet. :)

As you've already volunteered at UCSD, I think it's a great idea to apply to one of their internship opportunities, if any exist. Anything you can do to get an extra leg up won't be wasted--and you might even learn something exciting!

I mean yea in the sense that you are volunteering/working in a medical setting. But the fact that its at UCSD isnt going to matter. Ive done a large majority of my volunteer/work/research at UCSD...ive worked in the medical center, in their research labs, worked with and co-authored papers alongside UCSD resdsiency directors........ and their admissions committee didnt show me any love (i was put on pre interview hold and never contacted thereafter so i can only assume its a rejection this late in the cycle). I'm guessing its b/c of my MCAT, but the point is dont expect to get kudo points b/c you happen to be from san diego so have worked in their facilities.

IMO, a combined program is a bad idea. How do you know you want to go into medicine, and what if you change your mind? What if you don't like the school?

Go to college, enjoy it, and then focus on getting into medical school. With your numbers I'm sure you'll be successful, and you'll end up with more options later on.

IMO, a combined program is a bad idea. How do you know you want to go into medicine, and what if you change your mind? What if you don't like the school?

Go to college, enjoy it, and then focus on getting into medical school. With your numbers I'm sure you'll be successful, and you'll end up with more options later on.

Hey, Op!

I was accepted and am attending a BS/MD/MBA Program, so I am going to try and clear something up.

Most people on this forum seem to think that you can get into a med program w/o being 100% dedicated to medicine. That is a misconception. The only way you could get into one of these programs is by having a complete dedication to medicine, as evidenced by research, volunteering, and shadowing. Many applicants to these programs have resumes rivaling med applicants. You seem to be a very very competitive applicant, good luck in your decision

I kinda agree with JJMK, your stats make you seem like you could handle the accelerated program, but the traditional route is a lot less stressful. You won't have as much time to enjoy college as you would otherwise.

EDIT: Oh, and welcome to SDN!!

I kinda agree with JJMK, your stats make you seem like you could handle the accelerated program, but the traditional route is a lot less stressful. You won't have as much time to enjoy college as you would otherwise.

EDIT: Oh, and welcome to SDN!!

Most of these programs (UCSD specifically) are not accelerated. Its four years of college and four years of med school. There are ones that are accellerated like maybe only 3 years of undergrad, but its definitely not the majority.