What is the best review course?

Started by leah007
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

leah007

Full Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hi. I took MCAT on 09/12 and got 32. I am planning to take it again in Spring. Could anyone kindly recommend a review course, especially online course since there is only Kaplan classes in my region. Thanks!
 
Hi, if you got a balanced 32 (ie. not 15, 15, 2 or an individual section score below 8 or something like that), I'd recommend not retaking the MCAT and not only risking doing worse, but sitting through the hell of studying for it again.

However, if you're adamant about retaking it, I'd ask you to carefully think about whether an MCAT course would be beneficial for you or not. I signed up for the Kaplan course near my area and by the third meeting, I realized how useless it was for me. Pretty much shot that $1600 or so down the drain. The only thing I ended up using were the AAMC exams that came along with the class. If you're efficient at practicing by yourself, I'd say don't waste the money and get the books people recommend on these boards (TBR for PS, EK Bio and VR, etc.).

Take a look at SN2ed's 3-month sticky for a good plan of attack without needing to take a class. If you really want to take a class though, I wouldn't really recommend Kaplan. Their books were practically useless; their class sessions basically consisted of a brief review of material (which we went over very quickly) and strategies on approaching questions (which I didn't think were very good either). It was bad enough that I stopped going after the third session. I don't have experience with other courses so others can chime in for them. Good luck!
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hi. I took MCAT on 09/12 and got 32. I am planning to take it again in Spring. Could anyone kindly recommend a review course, especially online course since there is only Kaplan classes in my region. Thanks!

The best review course is the one a motivated disciplined student uses. Go with that one.
 
Well. I am really interested in MD/PhD and most applicants for the double degree program have awefully high MCAT and GPA. So I guess I just have to do it again.