What is the best way to prepare oneself for getting into a particular specialty?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

LUCPM

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
What is the best way to prepare oneself for getting into a particular specialty, especially for a first year student? I guess school grades and the board scores are important but is there any extra curricular activities one should get involved from the beginning? TIA

Members don't see this ad.

What is the best way to prepare oneself for getting into a particular specialty, especially for a first year student? I guess school grades and the board scores are important but is there any extra curricular activities one should get involved from the beginning? TIA

Besides what you have already stated, rotations and networking. Clubs really don't mean anything to a residency committee (although I still encourage you to participate in them; it gives good exposure and opportunities). If you have lectures by a professor or clinician who is in a field you are interested in, get to know them, ask to shadow, etc.

Plenty of people do not decide what field they want to pursue until they prepare for the match, and they do just fine.

I agree with the above answer. Club/Organization involvement is only as good as the opportunities that involvement provides. Residency program directors and interviewers want to see a commitment to that particular specialty, so some things that will be asked are...

Where did you spend your elective rotation time?
What specialty-pertinent research have you done?
What do your letters of recommendation from physicians in this specialty say about you?

Keep your options open. Many students change their minds several times throughout medical school (and some even in residency.) Spend time studying and getting the best grades and board scores you can. Be involved in various clubs and organizations that expose you to different specialties you may be interested in and when the time comes for you to narrow down your decision, show your interest to potential residency programs by rotating with them, going to conferences and meeting people in that field.

Any school worth its salt will help you out with this; they are as interested in seeing you succeed as you are. Starting first year, they'll allow you to explore different options further by setting up shadowing hours outside of school. And honestly, 99% of people change their mind on what specialty they really want during medical school anyway. Also, there's the disheartening possibility you might not match into your first choice specialty, either. From what I've gathered, you really don't have to start making those decisions until 2nd or 3rd year anyway. Good luck!