What is the correct title for an unlicensed "psychologist"?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

blueslily

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello all,

Quick question. When someone completes all criteria for the doctorate degree and graduates from their program, we can refer to them as Dr. Smith. However, many organizations will allow this individual to work for them for a period of time, for example one year or up to two years, without being licensed by a state. So what do we call a person who has completed a doctorate, but is not licensed yet? what is the title that they should use with patients? We see this happening in the VA a lot where psychologists can be hired as a GS-1. The position is called psychologist. But can they really be called a psychologist yet?

Keep in mind, these folks are not being hired in postdoc positions. They were hired for psychologist positions, but they are not licensed yet. Which title should they use with patients, and with themselves when they self-identify?

Also, is there an exception in the VA?

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Padawan Aspirant.

In all seriousness, "Mr. (or Ms./Mrs.) X, Psychology Intern (or Graduate Student)"

I think when you defend your dissertation and have all coursework completed, you can be called 'Doctor,' right?

Yes, doctor is fine if you've been awarded your degree. I would not use the term "psychologist," even in VA, before you're licensed. Sometimes psychological associate can work, I believe, depending on the state. Or provisionally-licensed, again depending on state. Maybe most broadly, "provider" or "therapist" along with "working under the supervision of XXX."

Edit: The state in which a person is pursuing licensure may also provide some guidance on this.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Padawan Aspirant.

In all seriousness, "Mr. (or Ms./Mrs.) X, Psychology Intern (or Graduate Student)"

I think when you defend your dissertation and have all coursework completed, you can be called 'Doctor,' right?

My question is about the position title, not if the can be referred to as Dr. Smith or not.

Thx.

Reactions: 1 user
Yes, doctor is fine if you've been awarded your degree. I would not use the term "psychologist," even in VA, before you're licensed. Sometimes psychological associate can work, I believe, depending on the state. Or provisionally-licensed, again depending on state. Maybe most broadly, "provider" or "therapist" along with "working under the supervision of XXX."

Follow up question: In the VA, they are federal employees. So, do they adhere to language of the state or language of the VA?

Follow up question: In the VA, they are federal employees. So, do they adhere to language of the state or language of the VA?

To some extent, both. While providing services in VA, I would adhere to VA terminology. However, even though VA is a federal entity, you're still required to abide by the regulations of the state in which you're licensed. So if that state says you can't call yourself a psychologist, then you can't call yourself a psychologist. And then there are some regulations of the state in which you're practicing that you may need to follow (e.g., regarding involuntary hospitalization).

Reactions: 3 users
As a general rule, I think "postdoctoral associate" or "psychology fellow" or something to that effect is OK, as long as it's not "psychologist." But if your state has a limited licensure or provisional licensure mechanism, and the person in question has applied for and received that status, then I would use the corresponding title (eg, "Provisionally Licensed Psychologist").

Hello all,

Quick question. When someone completes all criteria for the doctorate degree and graduates from their program, we can refer to them as Dr. Smith. However, many organizations will allow this individual to work for them for a period of time, for example one year or up to two years, without being licensed by a state. So what do we call a person who has completed a doctorate, but is not licensed yet? what is the title that they should use with patients? We see this happening in the VA a lot where psychologists can be hired as a GS-1. The position is called psychologist. But can they really be called a psychologist yet?

Keep in mind, these folks are not being hired in postdoc positions. They were hired for psychologist positions, but they are not licensed yet. Which title should they use with patients, and with themselves when they self-identify?

Also, is there an exception in the VA?

Thanks

As clinical psychology's relevance within the healthcare delivery system dwindles slowly, we are worried about someones title for one year?!

The VAs title for this is "graduate psychologist", btw.

As clinical psychology's relevance within the healthcare delivery system dwindles slowly, we are worried about someones title for one year?!

The VAs title for this is "graduate psychologist", btw.
Psychology is so unnecessarily self-conscious compared to medicine. You don't see physicians being so reticent to refer patients out or taking it so hard or even blaming themselves when their patients relapse or have less than optimal outcomes.

Psychology is so unnecessarily self-conscious compared to medicine. You don't see physicians being so reticent to refer patients out or taking it so hard when their patients relapse or have less than optimal outcomes.

That doesn't scan for me. Outside of academia you will find less navel gazing.

Physicians have a steeper learning curve for coping with bad outcomes, since their patient volumes tend to be so much higher and often they are working with sicker people. Psychologists who work with relatively low acuity patients may never have an opportunity to develop tolerance for really bad outcomes.

I've seen a handful of psychologists and physicians behave badly with second opinions or transfers of patients, but the vast majority seem to take it in stride. I, for one, am usually glad to refer out patients, but I think that's typical for clinicians at AMCs and tertiary referral centers, not so much in private practice.

But to refer back to the topic at hand, hierarchies matter in medicine, and therefore so do titles. Medicine just has its **** together more with respect to licensure, training standards, etc. and hence there is less ambiguity.

Last edited by a moderator: