What is the current view on retaking courses for MD apps?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

instamatic

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all-

Around 2 weeks back, I asked for advice re: private vs public sector job offers.

Taking that advice, I declined the public job, in favor of the private. To my surprise, the research group came back with a counter offer which narrowed the money factor between the two (didn't bridge the gap though) and also really tried to sell me with the offer of "we can totally work with your schedule if you want to go back to school and take more post-bacc courses."

Very tempting offer/conversation.

But here is my situation: I have 54 quarter units of all upper division science courses with a decent showing (~3.75) to combat a very low undergraduate gpa. (DIY post-bac). (Along with strong application in other regards- clinicals, research- with publications, etc etc)

Although I would love to take more courses, I find myself in the position where as an undergrad, I took way too many units and courses, so now I run out of courses to take - at least ones that are not full and open to me as a DIY post bac student.

So here are my questions:

1) is there any reason for me to retake prereqs in which I received C's if my main goal is MD? I know it will help with my DO application.
2) any purpose in taking non-prereqs, but other upper division courses with C's?
3) to stand a better chance at actually getting into classes, can I take them at community college? I know some schools won't even take prereqs done at CCs, but isn't that just a handful? Does it not look as "impressive" to where they will be disregarded grades to do them at a JC/CC?

I began my DIY post-bac journey in 2010, and at the time had few mentors/advice, but those I did have, always suggested staying away from retaking courses, and instead focus only on taking more upper division courses. As I peruse SDN though, it doesn't seem like this advice is always given, but does that only apply to DO?

I definitely see the appeal in strengthening my DO application all the same, just wondering how it would benefit my MD application.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited: