What is the deal with refusing to tell you were you are on the waitlist?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

JSB235

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
So why do some schools refuse to tell you were on the waitlist your are. I am on 6 wailtists, and only two will give me any idea of where I am on their list. I mean they have to have some kind of idea of where your are(top/middle/or bottom third).
What I don't understand is why it would hurt them to tell you. I am sure there is a reason they refuse to tell people, but I don't know why, if anybody knows please let me know.

Members don't see this ad.

I'm not particularly sure. I agonized over that same question for months wondering where I was on Arkansas's ranked waitlist, but since I got accepted before May 15, I guess the answer was "High." :p

So why do some schools refuse to tell you were on the waitlist your are. I am on 6 wailtists, and only two will give me any idea of where I am on their list. I mean they have to have some kind of idea of where your are(top/middle/or bottom third).
What I don't understand is why it would hurt them to tell you. I am sure there is a reason they refuse to tell people, but I don't know why, if anybody knows please let me know.

Out of curiosity, which schools have let you know where you are on the waitlist?

Members don't see this ad :)
Out of curiosity, which schools have let you know where you are on the waitlist?

Penn actually gave you a decent idea of where you were on the wait list (although somewhat unintentionally) since there were multiple wordings of waitlist mssgs sent out.

Some of them are ranked. Some of them are unranked.

I'm guessing that if they are trying to keep a diverse student body, and I don't necessarily mean in the AA sort of way, a person's chances of getting in would vary depending on who withdrew. Certain schools would also have different lists for in-state & OOS students. Sometimes, you're just in a general pool, and there is no way for them to tell. Sometimes, they just have a policy against divulging that info. Those are my guesses.

EVMS told me I am in the top third, and VCU told me I was in a very good postion, but didn't actually specify if i was top third. VCU doesn't normally tell you, but if you email them and bug them enough they usually will give you a better idea, which they did in my case.

That's an excellent sign. They wouldn't tell you you were in a good position if you weren't. If there's anything I've learned from this process, it's that med schools have absurdly high standards. If you've got them using superlatives to describe how good of a shot you have, that's encouraging.