What is the easiest DO school to get into??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Smittyballz

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Are there DO schools or school that have a reputation as being easy to get into or used as a back up. Also what is the most prestiguos and hard to get into. If someone could rank some schools it would be great. :)

Members don't see this ad.

Smittyballz said:
Are there DO schools or school that have a reputation as being easy to get into or used as a back up. Also what is the most prestiguos and hard to get into. If someone could rank some schools it would be great. :)

Easiest: Newer, private schools.

Hardest: Older, public schools.

(based on my application process, and MCAT/GPA averages.)

Members don't see this ad :)
I think in general OSUdoc08 is right. For sure schools like PCOM, Kirksville, Des Moines, Kansas, etc. are a bit harder to get into. Also keep in mind that some states are more likely to take in-staters (or within a region), even if they're private. I applied late with a very low MCAT score (see my profile) and I got fast interview invites to the following:

WesternU/COMP
WVSOM
LECOM-Erie
TUCOM-NV
TUCOM-CA

Not to say that those are "easy" schools to get into, but obviously they still had slots open, were willing to overlook my MCAT score, and didn't seem to have a residency requirement (although WVSOM does prefer people from that region, so I'm a little confused there). I also applied to UNECOM (too late), Kansas (didn't bother after investigating), NYCOM (too late for out of staters), VCOM, PCOM, AZCOM, and CCOM. I'm not sure about the last 3 I listed, but I'm guessing it's getting too late in the game, and they're competitive enough that they don't need my last minute application to fill any slots. That's just my experience and opinion though. :) You never know what might happen until you apply yourself. Good luck!

Reactions: 1 user
I noticed that no one mentioned TCOM, but here's my two cents: unless you're a Texas resident, TCOM is pretty hard to get into. Only 10% of about 125 seats are available to out-of-state students since it's a public school, and they're changing their admissions policy for 2006 so I think it's only going to get harder to get accepted.

http://www.hsc.unt.edu/education/tcom/admissionspolicy2006.cfm

I'd rank MSUCOM as one of the more difficult to get into.

Khenon said:
I think in general OSUdoc08 is right. For sure schools like PCOM, Kirksville, Des Moines, Kansas, etc. are a bit harder to get into. Also keep in mind that some states are more likely to take in-staters (or within a region), even if they're private. I applied late with a very low MCAT score (see my profile) and I got fast interview invites to the following:

WesternU/COMP
WVSOM
LECOM-Erie
TUCOM-NV
TUCOM-CA

Not to say that those are "easy" schools to get into, but obviously they still had slots open, were willing to overlook my MCAT score, and didn't seem to have a residency requirement (although WVSOM does prefer people from that region, so I'm a little confused there). I also applied to UNECOM (too late), Kansas (didn't bother after investigating), NYCOM (too late for out of staters), VCOM, PCOM, AZCOM, and CCOM. I'm not sure about the last 3 I listed, but I'm guessing it's getting too late in the game, and they're competitive enough that they don't need my last minute application to fill any slots. That's just my experience and opinion though. :) You never know what might happen until you apply yourself. Good luck!

Are you a Northwestern Track Applicant?

check princetonreview.com they list acceptance rates. Overall, osteopathic schools have pretty low rates of acceptance since of the huge number of applicants versus having only 20 schools.
I am proud to say that my school has a 4% acceptance rate =)

Ryan said:
Are you a Northwestern Track Applicant?
Actually because I'm from Idaho, and my parents are still residents there, I am considered for the Northwestern Tack, and was accepted into the program. However, I'm not interested in going back to Idaho to do my rotations, so I'm not going to accept the Northwest Track position. I was a little worried when I got my acceptance letter, because it looked like my acceptance was contigent upon me taking the Northwest track position, but I called and she said I just qualified because I'm still considered an Idaho resident (for the purposes of the program), and that I didn't have to be involved in that program. Whew!

Khenon said:
Actually because I'm from Idaho, and my parents are still residents there, I am considered for the Northwestern Tack, and was accepted into the program. However, I'm not interested in going back to Idaho to do my rotations, so I'm not going to accept the Northwest Track position. I was a little worried when I got my acceptance letter, because it looked like my acceptance was contigent upon me taking the Northwest track position, but I called and she said I just qualified because I'm still considered an Idaho resident (for the purposes of the program), and that I didn't have to be involved in that program. Whew!

Really?.... Not that I don't believe you but there is a big push to get NW track people into the program and a few low scores have come from there... That being said some of those people are at the TOP of the class grade-wise regardless of their MCAT scores. ;) I am not saying this to put you down in ANY way. Congrats on your acceptance. Just know that currently EVERY person accepted through the NW track Program for LAST year is REQUIRED to do their rotations in the NW. Your experiences (in your acceptance) are most DEFINATELY the EXCEPTION and not the Rule here at Western. But I think that is just awesome! It shows that Western really does look at the whole person when they consider applicants and not just one silly exam. Just for everyone's edification...The current report show that we have the 2od HIGHEST average MCAT score acceptance rate for DO schools (9.0 per section/ 27MCAT). The highest is TCOM (9.3/ ~28 MCAT).

To answer the original poster's question is to just "Go for it" and apply. You really have nothing to loose. Don't think just because you have low scores that it will keep you out of Med-School "X". The poster quoted above is proof that many competitive schools will look at you as a whole. If the Ad Com believes you can be successful, and they obviously believe in Khenon, than you can do it too. 1

Ryan said:
Really?.... Not that I don't believe you but there is a big push to get NW track people into the program and a few low scores have come from there... That being said some of those people are at the TOP of the class grade-wise regardless of their MCAT scores. ;) I am not saying this to put you down in ANY way. Congrats on your acceptance. Just know that currently EVERY person accepted through the NW track Program for LAST year is REQUIRED to do their rotations in the NW. Your experiences (in your acceptance) are most DEFINATELY the EXCEPTION and not the Rule here at Western. But I think that is just awesome! It shows that Western really does look at the whole person when they consider applicants and not just one silly exam. Just for everyone's edification...The current report show that we have the 2od HIGHEST average MCAT score acceptance rate for DO schools (9.0 per section/ 27MCAT). The highest is TCOM (9.3/ ~28 MCAT).
Trust me I was nervous when I got the letter. I didn't even apply for the NW track. I specifically checked the "no" box on the secondary where it asked if you wanted to be considered for it. So I was really scared that my acceptance was contigent upon me participating in the NW track program. But Susan Hanson, Director of Admissions, told me that I did not HAVE to participate in the program, and that my acceptance was still valid. She said the only reason I was approved for it was because of my prior residency and graduation from an Idaho university. I even told her I was worried about a contingency, and she told me it was not the case (for me, at least). Anyway, I'm relieved, and really glad that I got in anyway. For sure, my MCAT score was overlooked in this case. Granted the rest of my application is quite strong otherwise, but I knew that COMP had a higher MCAT average then most schools when I applied. Whew! :laugh:

Edit: I should also say, that I will not sign the contract that DOES require one to participate in the NW track rotations. Susan told me not to sign it, and to make a note on my accpetance contract that I decline participation in the NW track (but accept a position at the school). Perhaps when you say all people accepted through the NW track HAD to do their rotations in the NW, did actually sign their contracts, and thus were bound by that agreement. I doubt I'm the first person who's been offered the NW track program and declined it. Susan didn't make it sound like this was a big deal, or a "new" problem that they had never faced before.

Khenon said:
Trust me I was nervous when I got the letter. I didn't even apply for the NW track. I specifically checked the "no" box on the secondary where it asked if you wanted to be considered for it. So I was really scared that my acceptance was contigent upon me participating in the NW track program. But Susan Hanson, Director of Admissions, told me that I did not HAVE to participate in the program, and that my acceptance was still valid. She said the only reason I was approved for it was because of my prior residency and graduation from an Idaho university. I even told her I was worried about a contingency, and she told me it was not the case (for me, at least). Anyway, I'm relieved, and really glad that I got in anyway. For sure, my MCAT score was overlooked in this case. Granted the rest of my application is quite strong otherwise, but I knew that COMP had a higher MCAT average then most schools when I applied. Whew! :laugh:

Edit: I should also say, that I will not sign the contract that DOES require one to participate in the NW track rotations. Susan told me not to sign it, and to make a note on my accpetance contract that I decline participation in the NW track (but accept a position at the school). Perhaps when you say all people accepted through the NW track HAD to do their rotations in the NW, did actually sign their contracts, and thus were bound by that agreement. I doubt I'm the first person who's been offered the NW track program and declined it. Susan didn't make it sound like this was a big deal, or a "new" problem that they had never faced before.

I was also accepted through the NW track. From my understanding as long as you decline the NW track you do not have to go back to the NW for 3rd and 4th years. I actually accepted it though, I like the idea of coming back up to the NW. Most of the sites are in Seattle and Portland with Washington and Oregon's med students. I am an Idaho resident as well, but the chance of going to Idaho for rotations is very small, they only have 2 sites and they are only family practice sites.

Hi,

As I pm'ed jinyaosiu in private, I question the credibility of 'medschoolstats.com'. I have online access to 2005 US News & World report, and I can't figure out how that sites numbers matches those from US News. Unless you're referring to the 2006 edition, and I'd be pretty amazed if medschoolstats.com had access to that a full month ahead of the issue actually hitting bookstores.

TUCOM-MI, specifically, had a 8.7 average for the class of 2007 according to US News. This matches the number that TUCOM lists on their website, as well. If that number is legitimate, then TUCOM-MI's stats for the class of 2008 should also be 8.7. (We'll see after April 1st, when US News unveils their 2006 edition online.)

I don't know what COMP's stats for 2008 are, but the average for the class of 2007 (according to US News and World Report) is 8.6.

Hi, the US News & World 2006 edition is out, providing statistics for the admission class of 2004 (graduating class of 2008). Someone requested them, so I'll post relevant numbers (within reason) here:

Class of 2008
accep rate, avg. GPA, avg. MCAT
AZCOM 16.3% 3.4 9.0
TUCOM 14.5% 3.44 8.5
COMP 20.8% 3.48 8.8

(Note that TUCOM doesn't divide statistics between the MI and Henderson campuses.)

Just going back a few years, its obvious these numbers fluctuate year by year for each school. I don't know how much you can read into any particular number.

Do you have the stats for DMU, KCOM, and KCUMB

Sorry, but what a pointless thread. Are you all really concerned about differences of 0.5 in avg MCAT scores, or 0.2 GPA points? Who cares? The standards are basically the same at all the schools.

(nicedream) said:
Sorry, but what a pointless thread. Are you all really concerned about differences of 0.5 in avg MCAT scores, or 0.2 GPA points? Who cares? The standards are basically the same at all the schools.

:clap:

I 2nd that!

What is the NW track?

I "third" that...also, congrats on acceptance to COMP. I am graduating from the school that does credit checks...:) In about a month. My guess would be the new "satelite" campus for a few schools would be the "easiest" but like someone said earlier they are truely all about the same. Once again Congrats!!!

Smittyballz said:
You need to tell us what state you are from. That will make a difference with public an even private schools. Even if you are from a state that does not have a DO school some schools will still cater to you. e.g. PCOM and Deleware.